Sunday, February 17, 2013

My Meatless Mondays - Plain Pound Cake


While others look for recipes for fancy cakes or chocolate goodness, I look for plain cakes or nut cakes for the love of my life.  Nothing like a plain pound cake.  I guess with some flavoring and nuts, it does take on its own personality.  When you additionally, put too much batter into one pan, you also have a unique shape.  So this is my Not So Plain, Plain Pound Cake.

Plain Pound Cake (adapted from Ina Garten)

Ingredients :

1 cup oil minus 1 tablespoon
2 cups granulated sugar, divided
4 eggs, at room temperature
3 cups gluten-free flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon kosher salt
3/4 cup Rice Dream with a teaspoon of vinegar, at room temperature
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract 

1 teaspoon amaretto extract

Method

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a large loaf pan plus a small baking dish 3 x 3.
 

Mix the oil and granulated sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment for about 5 minutes, or until light and fluffy. With the mixer on medium speed, beat in the eggs, 1 at a time.

In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In another bowl, combine the Rice Dream and vanilla & amaretto extracts. Add the flour and Rice Dream mixtures alternately to the batter, beginning and ending with the flour. 


Divide the batter evenly between the pans, smooth the tops, and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until a cake tester comes out clean.   The small pan should be checked at 30 minutes.

When the cakes are done, let them cool for 10 minutes. Take them out of the pans, place them on a baking rack and allow them to cool completely. Wrap well, and store in the refrigerator.


Looking back:

I couldn't resist this Chocolate Cherry Cheesecake from Thrift Craft and Create
This is so for me.  I love gnocchi.  This is Gnocchi   and Walnuts in a Wine Sauce from Meatless Mediterranean



 

Tessa The Domestic Diva is also tempting us with chocolate in this Chocolate Fudge Torte with Raspberries - GF
Chocolate Raspberry Torte -GF Vegan Paleo

I am certainly hungry but I have nothing like these three in my kitchen so I am opening the floor to you lovely people.  What do you have to share with us?

5 comments:

  1. Looks like a great party, I am sharing my Raspberry Sheet Cake. Hope you have a great week and thanks for sharing.
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the feature Chaya, I am like you or your hubby! I love rich and buttery simple cakes, pound cake being the top!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love pound cake! I can't wait to try, thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum, your allergy friendly pound cake looks delicious! Wish I could just cut off the top crusty part (always my favorite part of the pound cake) and eat it up. I have some amaretto (not extract) that I just used in some cupcakes -- I will have to give it a try in your pound cake.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love love love poundcake. I have a wonderful recipe that I have used for years and years and yours is making me want to run to the kitchen right this minute and pop one in the oven!! Delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting.