Sunday, February 10, 2013

My Meatless Mondays - Cabbage and Mushrooms

I know that many of you don't appreciate the taste of cabbage but I consider it comfort food when it is warmed up.  I don't feel this way about cole slaw although I do like that salad.

I make cabbage and noodles which is scrumptious so it did not surprise me when I made this dish.  I basically added onions and mushrooms to make the dish and it made for a wonderful side dish.



 

Cabbage and Mushrooms

Ingredients:

1 large yellow onion, sliced
1 tablespoon olive oil
fresh ground black pepper, to taste
1/2 cup reduced-sodium vegetable broth
3 cups thinly sliced cabbage
1 cup sliced mushrooms

Method:

Heat oil in a 12-inch  skillet over medium heat.


Add onion and mushromms to the skillet. Season with black pepper and add 1/4 cup broth . Cook for 5 minutes.

Add cabbage and the remaining 1/4 cup broth and simmer until tender, about 10 minutes.



This is not a pretty dish but it is tasteful.  To add color, cook orange or yellow pepper along with onion and mushrooms. 

Let's take a peek at a few items from last week.

 Apple, Celery Walnut Salad from A Life Unprocessed


 Vegetarian Taco Salad from Dancing Carrots
Easy vegetarian taco salad recipe with lentil & rice taco filling, peppers, cilantro, corn, beans, and catalina dressing
 Diane always has great recipes.  Here is Brown Sugar Squash, Brussels Sprouts and Apple.   Simple Living
mustard cod with squash & brussels sprouts 

It is your turn.  What fun is in wait for us, this week?

 

8 comments:

  1. I've shared a fresh Tomato, Basil and Mozzarella Salad this week, with some of the bounty from my garden. Thanks for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great combination - cabbage and mushrooms. Looks great! I've share one of my favorite winter breakfasts- grits and green chile. Thanks for hosting and have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoy cabbage, and this is a delicious way to serve it. This week I've shared some wonderful desserts for Valentine's Day. Thank you for hosting :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for featuring my squash and brussels sprouts. Have a Happy Valentine's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for hosting! Hope you have a super week. I am very intrigued by the cabbage dish. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmm thank you for sharing the cabbage dish because I LOVE cabbage, and I have a gallon of it shredded in my fridge right now waiting to be used! (Leftover from a huge kraut-making event :)

    I shared a link about 66 ways to use your Vitamix - these all make work in the kitchen just flow so much more quickly, easily and smoothly!

    http://dotalanecdotes.blogspot.com/2013/02/66-awesome-things-to-do-with-Vitamix.html

    Leave me a comment if you have ideas on other ways to use it, I am pretty sure somebody out there can think of something I didn't, or if you have recipes you can link from your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I decided to try a plant based diet and these recipes are perfect. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting.