Sunday, January 13, 2013

My Meatless Mondays - Eastern Style Rice Salad


When I make a hot rice dish, I usually make an extra 2 cups of rice for a salad. This salad has a lot of good stuff and I can see it being served as a hot side dish.  Fish or poultry could be added and then it could be served as a main dish.  Whatever you choose, I think you will enjoy this dish.


Eastern Style Rice Salad


Ingredients:

2 cups cup brown rice, cooked and chilled
1 cup fresh sliced mushrooms 
1 orange bell pepper
2/3 cup roasted cashews, chopped
1 cup chopped onions
2 cups fresh baby spinach, torn into smaller pieces
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 teaspoon Chinese 5 Spice
1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley

Method:
 In a Skillet, heat a teaspoon of olive oil  Cook sliced mushrooms and onions for 5 minutes, mixing occasionally.

Combine the chilled cooked rice, mushrooms, red peppers, cashews,  onions,  spinach in a large bowl.

Blend the  oil, soy sauce, parsley and Five Spice  in a separate bowl.

Pour the dressing over the salad 1 hour before serving and toss well.

Looking back:


Now, it is your turn.  Thanks for all the inspiration.   This is linked to Inspire Me Monday

7 comments:

  1. Yummy! Your Eastern Rice Salad looks amazing, fresh, and healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, this week I have shared why I stopped drinking green smoothies after 3 years and my recipe for a chocolate covered marzipan smoothie that's actually good for you!

    http://www.greenthickies.com/why-i-stopped-drinking-green-smoothies
    http://www.greenthickies.com/chocolate-covered-marzipan-smoothie

    Many thanks for hosting

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, this week I have shared my very first blog post on my new blog Love Health, Love Life and a 7 day real food diet plan to kick start your healthy eating and weight loss.

    http://lovehealthlovelife.com/love-health-love-life-is-born/
    http://lovehealthlovelife.com/7-day-real-food-diet-lose-weight-naturally-with-whole-healthy-food/

    Many thanks for hosting

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always make extra rice, but one of my kids always eats it before I get to make a salad. I think I need to label it brussel sprouts. Love your salad and your party. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a great idea to make extra rice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello..I am not sure if you still remember me..I was absent from blogging for about a year and more and now I decided to come back with a new website and a new aura.I miss your place and I am happy to find you again

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting.