Thursday, December 6, 2012

Quinoa - Power Food



I knew, it had to happen and I would mix up the power food for the week.  Instead of quinoa, I made beans which is scheduled for next week.  To make up for my mistake, here are some photos of quinoa recipes, I have made, in the past.    I also am sharing one recipe.


I was watching a video on Food 52 and they were making polenta with caramelized onions, goat cheese and honey. I was inspired and planned to make this until I realized, I had a small pan full of cooked cabbage and onions. Change of plans went into effect. I ended up with quinoa polenta with caramelized onions and cabbage, topped with cream cheese and honey. Delicious is the word, for this dish.

I feel guilty, having such a tasty dish that I made with such ease but then, I did have the cabbage and onions already cooked. Polenta is easy to make but so far, I have been buying the round rolls that only need be cut and sliced. When I use them up, it is time to make my own.  (This has changed since I first shared this.  Now, I do make my own polenta.)

I should mention, in the store, looking for regular polenta, I came across quinoa polenta. It looks whiter and has red and black dots. I am not sure, I could discern a change in taste but then, my taste buds are not what they used to be.

Quinoa Polenta Topped with Onion, Cheese and Honey (2 slices)

Ingredients:

2 slices quinoa polenta 



 3 slices onion, shredded

1/4 cup shredded cabbage

1 tablespoon olive oil plus another teaspoon of olive oil (separate)

2 teaspoons cream cheese or ricotta or cottage cheese or goat cheese

2 drizzles of honey

Method:

In a small skillet, heat 1 teaspoon olive oil. Place polenta slices in and cook until slightly crispy and golden.

In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil and cook onions for ten minutes, stirring occasionally. Add cabbage and mix in with onions and cook for another ten minutes until onions are caramelized. Keep an eye on skillet and mix so all will cook and none will be burned.

Layer quinoa, onions and cabbage, cream cheese and honey. (I heated the whole thing in the microwave for 15 seconds but it is not necessary.

To make more, just multiply ingredients according to number of polenta slices. I could have easily eaten 4 pieces, at a sitting.


Quinoa Pasta with Goat Cheese & Vegetables






Quinoa Muffins
Quinoa Salad
Quinoa Patties
More Quinoa Pasta
Check the other lovely and healthy cooks who are sharing their Power Foods.
 Mireya of My Health Eating Habits - Let her know if you would like to join us.
Alyce from More Time at the Table
Ansh from Spice Roots
Jeanette from Jeanette's Healthy Living
Martha from Simple Nourished Living
Sarah from Everything in the Kitchen Sink
Minnie from TheLady8Home.com

3 comments:

  1. The quinoa polenta with onion and cabbage, etc. sounds awesome! I love cheese and honey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why should you feel guilty to make something that's easy and convenient? I know I'm always on the lookout for recipes that are tasty and take a new twist on a particular food. And this does look tasty. I love caramelized onions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just discovered quinoa a couple of years ago. LOVE it. Quinoa polenta. How interesting

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting.