Thursday, December 20, 2012

Orange Delight Burnt Cake


No, I did not make a mistake in the title.  This cake is just what it says, an orange delight burnt cake, burnt being the key word.  

I decided to surprise hubby with a cake and orange sounded like just the thing to make.  I have an easy recipe, using oil instead of butter and it needs nothing but a bowl and a spoon plus the ingredients.  Oh yes, it needs an oven, that foul oven who did the deed and burnt my delightful cake.

It has been working on and off, for a while but in the last month, I have had no problems so in my innocence, I believed it had fixed itself.  Yeah sure, like appliance fix themselves......

I found out, last night, it did not do that and furthermore it knew just when to break down.  It is the timer that turns the oven off after a specified time that did the deed.  I set it for 48 minutes and forgot about it.  Ninety minutes later, I walked into the kitchen, spelling a fragrance and remembering my cake which now had a dark crust on the outside.  I rushed over and removed it from THAT oven.  It fell out of the pan when turned over.  At least, I didn't have to fight to get it out.  It looked like a chocolate cake on the outside but the inside was just fine.  The inside was not overdone and the outside was edible.  Hubby is presently munching on a piece (at least, when I typed this).

The recipe is fine and this can be made with either lemon or orange or both.  Believe it or not, the texture is light (you might have to overcook it for an extra hour to get it so good - no, don't do that).  This is one of the easiest cakes, using orange juice and lemon extract, right from their containers.

Orange Delight Cake (yours does not have to be burnt)

Ingredients:

2 1/2 cups gluten-free brown rice flour mixture (tapioca flour and potato starch plus brown rice flour)
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 cup orange juice
3/4 cup oil
1 1/2 teaspoons lemon extract
4 egg beaters


 Method:

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

Grease and flour a bundt pan, tube pan or as I did, a large "flower" pan.

Combine dry ingredients and add liquids in a large bowl.  Using a large spoon, mix well.

Pour into prepared baking pan of choice.

Bake for 48 minutes or perhaps more.  ( I have no idea when it was done completely.)  Use a thin sharp knife to test for doneness.  When it comes out clean, you have a cake that is not burnt but baked through. 

Turn onto a plate after cooling for five minutes.  Turn over onto another plate.

I could not find my skewers which would have been perfect for poking holes in the cake so I used a toothpick and turned it a few times.  I made several holes.  Pour glaze, below, over the cake, allowing to enter the holes.

Glaze:

3/4 confectioner's sugar
2 tablespoons orange juice

Mix above together and pour over cake.

Eat and enjoy.

3 comments:

  1. LoL Our broiler works the same way. I'll try to broil the cheese on nachos and unless I leave the door open a crack, the flame goes out and it takes 20 minutes to melt the cheese.

    On another note, this recipe sounds delicious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty Much post it is. I enjoyed very much. If you want to know about “Food Storage” please visit: http://www.efoodsdirect.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting.