Sunday, November 11, 2012

My Meatless Mondays - Cheesy Vegetable Cornmeal Casserole

This is a delicious sounding recipe which included yummy black beans. When I went to make it, there were no black beans available. Instead of subbing another bean, I decided to make this a cheese laden dish. I had some slices of tomato basil jack cheese and I sliced them into narrow pieces and used these to add flavor and cheesy goodness. I added more corn to the dish to make up for some of the missing beans. The only change, I would make is to use a lasagna pan instead of a round, high sided one. The topping was too thick although, we loved it, anyway.

Cheesy Vegetable Cornmeal Casserole (adapted from Taste of Home)

Ingredients:

 
1 large onion, chopped
1 large yellow pepper, chopped
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon sweet chili sauce
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
2 cups frozen corn

TOPPING:
3/4 cup whole gluten-free flour
3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
2 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg
3/4 cup fat-free milk
1 tablespoon olive oil
Salsa and reduced-fat sour cream, optional


Method:


In a large skillet, saute onion and bell pepper in oil until tender. Add the chili powder, garlic, cumin and pepper; saute 1 minute longer. Add tomatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes.


Stir in corn; heat through. Transfer to an 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.

For topping, in a small bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder,and salt. Whisk the egg, milk and oil; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Spoon over filling; gently spread to cover the top.

Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until filling is bubbly and a toothpick inserted into topping comes out clean. Serve with salsa and sour cream if desired. Yield: 6 servings. In the round pan, I used, since it was more dense, I baked it for 30 minutes at 375 degrees.



*You can make this as spicy as you like. Add the chili peppers and some hot sauce.










 I admit, I feel out of touch, with ther "real world" since my "real world" has been different, for the past two weeks.  I am sorry, we missed My Meatless Mondays, last week but hopefully, we will be able to continue with some normalcy.  I still have not been able to look at your contributions, last week.  With the second blackout, we were set back again.  Fortunately, I had done little shopping so if we were going to lose our food again, it would basically be cheese but we got our power back and everything is fine.

Thanks to all of you for your patience and understand and even more so, for your good wishes.  We are, thank God, fine.

Now back to the routine and my love of My Meatless Mondays.   Please link below.  Linked to
 My Bloggy Friends
 

12 comments:

  1. Thanks for hosting, glad you have our power back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chaya,
    Your cornmeal casserole looks absolutely delicious and a great photo too! I might try it with the black beans since I'm off of dairy !! Thanks for hosting. I linked a homemade fresh cranberry salad dressing that is sweet and tangy and perfect for a waldorf type salad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry to hear you had yet another blackout! How stressful! I'm so glad you and your family are okay though.

    What a lovely meatless dish. Your Cheesy Vegetable Cornmeal Casserole sounds wonderful! Thank you for hosting, and have a lovely week :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad to hear you got power back! That must be so stressful, my heart goes out to you.

    You casserole looks great :) This week I've shared a recipe for Baked GF Coconut Breaded Swiss Chard Stems, one of my ways of using up those pretty stems leftover from making green juice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your dish sounds like a great one for Thanksgiving if you have vegetarian guests coming!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for hosting Chaya. Glad to have you back!

    I'm sharing Layered Maple Walnut Chocolate Fudge & a video on How To Cook Millet Perfectly Every Time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to hear you have power! This casserole sounds delicious! I love anything with cornmeal. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope you're doing well dear. Take care & may god bless you all.
    Blessings, Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Chaya,

    I hope your electrical power is stable now. Cold weather coming soon. Stay well and stay warm.

    Laureen

    ReplyDelete
  10. This casserole looks filling and delicious. Love the cheesy bubbly top.
    Thank you for hosting, Chaya!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a casserole! That dish makes me crave for one right now. I want to devour it whole. lol
    bean bags brisbane

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello
    Stop wasting time and your money, I ‘m going to show you how to fit the food you need into your budget , and demonstrate that eating the right food is in reality way cheaper that you think ! I suggest you personally to collect this book ,you see details about it please visit this link
    http://www.facepack.in?a_aid=shuvo701

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting.