Sunday, November 25, 2012

My Meatless Mondays - An Edible Mosaic

A while back,  a group of us were going to make the same recipe from Faith's new book, An Edible Mosaic:  Middle Eastern Fare with Extraordinary Flair.  The recipe is Saffron Rice with Golden Raisins and Pine Nuts, and was eaten, heartily, in my home.

You can find the recipe and the list of other participating at an Edible Mosaic.

I was not able to participate, at the time, not having power due to our unfriendly Sandy.  For those of you who not be aware, there are still many without power, if they are lucky enough to have their homes intact.  Volunteers from all over the United States have come to New Jersey and Queens to literally empty the houses of their destroyed interiors including the walls.

During the crisis, those who had, cooked for others, did laundry, babysat and did whatever was needed.  We saw and are seeing much good.   

I did get to make this dish although I am not sure why the photo shows different color rice.  It was all the same, on the table.  If you want to start with one of Faith's dishes, this is a good one.  It makes a delicious side dish.  (As a point of interest, I am now toasting nuts in the microwave, and they fragrance is wonderful.)

Let's look back to last week and see what else we can serve.

How about stuffed mushrooms from the Adirondack Chick?



We have Black Beans with Sundried Tomato Pesto from Frugal Follies.

Gluten-Free Corn Bread from Healthy Frugalista

I know you will like dessert, this week from Flavors by Four.  Sugar Cookie Cup

This is linked to Keep it Real Thursday
What will we find this week?  Share your dishes with us.  Link below.


9 comments:

  1. I noticed when you were off-line and assumed you were affected by the storm. We just got a graze from the edge and it was awful and destructive, so I can't imagine how it must have been for those more directly impacted. I am glad to hear that you are well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really amazing how people band together during times like this. Even though it brought much destruction, Hurricane Sandy did also bring out the best in humanity. I'm still keeping those affected by the storm in my thoughts and prayers.

    I'm so happy you had the chance to make the rice! It looks wonderful, Chaya.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for hosting! Have a great week, Chaya :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for featuring my recipe! I spent lots of summers with my grandparents on Rockaway Beach. It hurts so much to see all the devastation there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In retrospect I feel lucky that I only lost power for a week, but 2 boys were killed by a downed tree in my town so we are still living with the pain of Sandy even though our roads are clear and our power is on. I'm glad you are doing well and it is so heart breaking... all of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for featuring the stuffed mushrooms! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! Thanks so much for hosting! We would love to welcome you over at Seasonal Celebration Sunday linky each week at http://www.naturalmothersnetwrk.com. I linked a french Chocolate Truffle Recipe. Rebecca x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Darlin! Hope you had a great holiday weekend and that things are going well. Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for featuring our Sugar Cookie Cups this week! We are so glad you liked them as much as we did. Hope you had a great Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting.