Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Havarti and Spinach Egg Puff

This week, I posted my Weekly Menu on Bizzy Bakes.  This week, the cookbook, I am working from, is Not Your Mother's Casseroles.  This is a practical book with a diversity of recipes.  No photos which is not a selling point but I have had no problem making these recipes without the pictures.

So far, this week, I have made the Creamy Cabbage Casserole, Cheese and Spinach Egg Puff, and Baked Spaghetti with Tomatoes and Pine Nuts.  My favorite of the three is the Egg Puff, which I made tonight.  An easy recipe although it was a little time consuming with the chopping and shredding.  I added mushrooms to the recipe from the book.   This can be served as breakfast, lunch or dinner.  Bell pepper would be a good addition, rather than the mushrooms.  



Havarti and Spinach Egg Puff - adapted from Not Your Mother's Casseroles by Faith Durand

Ingredients

1 16 ounce bag or box of frozen spinach
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 onions, chopped
4 button mushrooms, chopped
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
6 eggs
1 cup milk
 1 cup grated Dill Havarti
Method
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Grease a one quart baking dish.  I used a round one.
Microwave spinach in water for 2 minutes.  Drain in a colander.  Place heavy bowl on top of spinach, to push water out.  Pat with paper towels.
Heat olive oil in a large skillet,  Add onions, garlic and mushrooms.  Cook until onions are translucent.  (7 minutes)
Add the spinach and cook for another three minutes.
Let this cool down for a few minutes.
In  a large bowl, beat eggs and milk.  Stir in the spinach mixture.  Pour into baking dish.
Top with shredded cheese.
Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes or until set.

3 comments:

  1. This sounds so good and I know it must taste good because I make something similar to it in the form of a pancake.

    Mireua @myhealthyeatinghabits

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how yummy! Now that my daughter seems to overcome her egg allergy, I can give this a try! Thanks for sharing this month with 'Made From Scratch' Monday! Hope you are having a wonderful week :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummmmm, the dill havarti sounds like a really nice touch! Thanks for sharing at Meatless Monday!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting.