Thursday, September 20, 2012

Moroccan Style Stuffed Acorn Squash - Power Food



Thursday night, I usually make my power food recipe although this week, I made several appropriate recipes.  The food is winter squash and for this week, I used acorn squash.  

Power Foods: 150 delicious recipes with the 38 healthiest ingredients is the book, we are using. Each week, we take one of the power foods and make a dish, using it. For me, this has been an introduction to a few vegetables that are new to me and also, some that are staples. If you would like to join us, please contact the coordinator and creator of the group, Mireya - My Healthy Eating Habits.

Squash is something I make often.  It is versatile and can be made plain or fancy.  I have stuffed acorn squash, over the years, with different foods or just a little cinnamon and brown sugar.  

I found this recipe online and although I changed aspects of it, I was still pretty true to the recipe.  It just sounded so good the way it was.



Moroccan Style Stuffed Acorn Squash adapted


Ingredients:


2 tablespoons brown sugar
spray olive oil
2 large acorn squash, halved and seeded
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 zucchini, chopped small
1 carrot, chopped in small pieces
1 cup garbanzo beans, drained
1/2 cup raisins
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup brown rice orzo which is gluten-free
1 cup vegetable broth

Method:


Cook acorn squash in microwave for about 7 minutes.  At least, that is what it took for mine to cook through.  I did heat it, in the microwave again, stuffed for another 90 seconds.

Scoop out seeds and put brown sugar in each opening.  Spray lightly with oil.


Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in the garlic, zucchini, and carrots, and cook 5 minutes. 

Mix in the garbanzo beans and raisins. Season with cumin, salt, and pepper, and continue to cook and stir until vegetables are tender.


Pour the vegetable broth into the skillet, and mix in the couscous. Cover skillet, and turn off heat.

 Allow couscous to absorb liquid for 5 minutes. Stuff squash halves with the skillet mixture to serve.

(I cooked the couscous first and put it aside.)

"Although winter squash has long been recognized as an important food source of carotenoids, only recently have research studies documented just how fantastic winter squash can be when it comes to these key antioxidants. For some groups of study participants, winter squash turns out to be the primary food source of alpha-carotene and beta-carotene in the entire diet! For lutein, zeaxanthin, and beta-cryptoxanthin (three other health-supportive carotenoids) winter squash also comes out among the top three food sources in several studies."


Please visit the other members of our group and see how they have used winter squash.
 Mireya of My Health Eating Habits - Let her know if you would like to join us.
 Alyce from More Time at the Table
 Ansh from Spice Roots
  Jeanette from Jeanette's Healthy Living  
Martha from Simple Nourished Living 
and our newest member, Minnie  from TheLady8Home.com

Autumn Harvest Stuffed Squash

Squash Apple Rounds

Apricot - Squash Sweet Tidbits - not blogged yet
Kasha with Butternut Squash and Mango
This is linked to Friday Food     Gallery of Favorites     Foodtastic Friday

8 comments:

  1. This looks delicious. I have tried stuffed pumpkin, but not squash.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! What great things to make with squash!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some of your recipes are interesting, and I am not trying to be mean but can you please look up grammar rules for commas. You put way too many commas in your writing and it makes me wince when I read them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great collection of squash recipes. Can't wait to try the Moroccan style stuffed squash.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful squash!!! Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So many things to comment on. I like your change to zucchini from celery, love the garbanzos and raisins, and I didn't know there was GF orzo. I'm looking forward to trying your recipe, but I'll cut down on the sugar.

    Mireya @myhealthyeatinghabits

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a really yummy recipe and a filling one too. I must try this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful way to serve acorn squash. I really like Moroccan flavours. This would make such a warming and delicious dish this time of year.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting.