Sunday, August 26, 2012

My Meatless Mondays - Cream Cheese Colcannon

I have made colcannon over the years and it is a dish, we like.  This is unlike any, I have made, previously and although delicious, it is hard to believe that it has onions and cabbage in it.  The vegetables are boiled and are soft and when we ate this dish, my hubby thought it was mashed potatoes and I would have, also, if I had not known better.  This is from food.com and I did make a number of changes.  I would suggest adding some corned beef to the dish and not boiling the vegetables.  Maybe browning them would make a difference or even leaving them crispy. 

Pareve Cream Cheese Colcannon (adapted from food.com.)


Pareve is neither meat nor milk.  In order to serve with meat, I can't use the original cheese in the recipe.


Servings: 4

Ingredients:


4 large potatoes
4 cups cabbage, shredded
1 large onion, chopped
1/2 cup Rice Dream
1 tablespoon margarine
1 (3 ounce) packages Tofutti cream cheese, softened
salt and pepper to taste
chives sprinkled on top

Method:

Grease 12 muffin tin inserts.  (10) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Place potatoes in a large pot and cover with salted water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until tender, 15-20 minutes. Drain and reserve the cooking liquid. Allow potatoes to cool until they can be handled.

Boil cabbage and onion with the reserved potato water in a pot until softened, about 5 minutes. Drain.

I used a ricer to mash the potatoes. Mash Rice milk and margarine into potatoes until mixture is smooth. Stir drained cabbage and onion into potato mixture. Fold cream cheese, salt and black pepper into potato mixture, stirring until the cream cheese melts.

Pour potato mixture into prepared muffin tins . Bake in a preheated oven until browned, 25 minutes.

Sprinkle chives on top.  Eat and enjoy.
Let's look back.

Bottom Crusted Artichoke Pie - Real Food Forager
Post image for Recipe: Bottom Crusted Artichoke Pie (GF, DF)

Sweet Pepper Lollipops from Make the Best of Everything

Crustless Quinoa Veggie Pie from our dear friend, Mrs. Fox

Nut Burgers from Veggie Converter

White Bean, Fresh Corn and Heirloom Tomato Salad from the Cafe Sucre Farine


Here is our dessert - Yummy - Caramel and Fruit Meringue from With a Blast

Your turn, ladies and gents -----

18 comments:

  1. HI,
    I shared my Sugar-Free Sugar Cookies (GF DF).

    Thanks for featuring my Artichoke Pie!

    Join the FOOD FIGHT for Proposition 37 – labeling of GM foods!
    http://realfoodforager.com/food-fight-proposition-37/

    Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything looks so good, I am sharing my Crisp Cole Slaw for the party today. Hope you have a great week and thanks for hosting!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you had a super weekend! Thanks for the party!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for hosting! This week, I shared my Cauliflower Italian Napoleon! It's Gluten/Grain Free, Vegan and Specific Carb Diet SCD Friendly with a Body Ecology Diet option! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the feature! Have a great week,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for hosting! Your cream cheese colcannon look delicious. I have several cabbages waiting to be picked I'll have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for hosting. I shared my Creamy Avocado Chickpea Pasta. It's free of meat, dairy, eggs, nuts, wheat and gluten. And delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for hosting. I shared my Creamy Avocado Chickpea Pasta. It's free of meat, dairy, eggs, nuts, wheat and gluten. And delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such great recipes this week! Sorry that I haven't joined in the last couple of weeks, but the recipes I have been posting have had 'meat' in them :) I have been coming by though and checking out the recipes that have been being shared. Thanks for hosting! Have a great week ☺

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for hosting Chaya!

    I'm sharing A Salute to Healthy Real Food, 3 Minute Dairy Free Coconut Whipped Cream, and a 5 Minute 4 Ingredient Peanut Butter Pie Filling (DF, GF, GrF).

    http://www.beyondthepeel.net/2012/08/peanut-butter-pie.html

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love colcannon! And it can only get better with cream cheese. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just link up another recipe of mine. This time is vanilla swiss roll and homemade vanilla Crème Mousseline filling. Do check out the step by step methods.
    http://vivianpangkitchen.blogspot.com/2012/08/vanilla-swiss-roll-with-vanilla-creme.html
    Thanks again for hosting! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for linking! This is like a mini St. Patrick's celebration. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for hosting! I shared my risotto recipe:
    http://gapsfort2.blogspot.com/2012/07/risotto.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Chaya,

    Thanks for featuring my Crustless Quinoa Veggie Pie.

    So many great entries this week, I bet you're going to have a hard time choosing just a few :)

    Blessings
    Laureen

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Chaya, I'm a little late to the party, but i am trying to get back in the swing of things after having the summer off and a new puppy in the house. I alway like your recipes here. The colcannon look great!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting.