Sunday, June 3, 2012

My Meatless Mondays - Vegetable Ribbon Kugel


I love playing with my vegetable curly ribbon maker so when I got up, this morning, I made some potato, carrot, onion and zucchini ribbons.  The potato was the best, going on to make one continuous long ribbon of about three feet.  The others were a lot shorter.


I thought, I was going to cook them in a pan with a little soup and some spices but ended up, adding more soup and some eggs and topping it with crumbs, making a kugel.


I think, I mentioned, I rarely make any dish, more than once and that is because I get bored.  I teach the same way. Each year, I change what I am doing and rather than use my information from the previous years, I come up with new new approaches to the work.  In that way, I don't get bored.  


Granted, as a teacher, I have some winning projects or lessons that I do repeat but what amazes me, is that these, are handled differently with each class.  Since creativity is called for, along with information, they take it to where they can.  


For example, the children taught part of a unit on the Westward Expansion.  They did interviews, Internet programs,and  one boy even did an Indian dance.  Costumes and some scenery was improvised and this was all their doing.  I know that is fun for them but I don't assign it, in respect for the children who do not have access to some of the items.  


Each group made up a sheet of notes and a test on their material.  This was not part of the assignment.  This year's class, who is weak in remembering information, know how to expand on a topic and that material, they do remember.  This year had to be a creative year to reach them.


So, this was a creative dish which  meant I had fun.  Cooking should be fun and interesting.


Vegetable Ribbon Kugel


Ingredients:


2 medium carrots
2 medium potatoes
1 large onion
2 zucchini
2 tablespoons teriyaki sauce
1 cup organic vegetable broth
black pepper to taste
2 eggs
2/3 cup taco chip crumbs


Method:  (Use a skillet that can be put into the oven or cook it completely on top of the stove.)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.


Using a tool or cutting, by hand, make ribbons out of all the vegetables.  Do the potatoes last, so they don't turn brown.

Pour the soup in a large skillet.  If you need more than one cup, add whatever is necessary.  It does get absorbed. 


Add all the vegetables.  Cook for 6 minutes.  Remove skillet from the burner and put aside.


In a small bowl, beat eggs and add teriyaki sauce and black pepper.  Pour over the vegetables in the skillet


Put the skillet back on the burner, turn flame on and cook for no more than 1 minute.  

Cover the vegetables and egg mixture with taco chip crumbs (you can use bread crumbs) .

Place in oven and bake for 20 minutes.  Top should be somewhat golden brown.
Looking back two weeks:
Gluten Free Bread from S.A.H.M i AM

Roasted Asparagus and Goat Cheese Salad from Fitness Girl Kitchen Stories



Avocado, Radish and Arugla Crepes from Real Food, Real Deals

Now for dessert.
Citrus Hazelnut Bars from Pint Sized Baker

Ok, it is your turn.  I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for your wonderful recipes.  It is my treat, each week, to got through these.  Foodies are the best kind of people.

Allergy Free Wednesdays

Please link up below.

18 comments:

  1. Aww, thanks for featuring my recipe along with the other wonderful ones. This Kugel looks delicious and I am curious because I have never made one! Bookmarking it! And thanks for hosting!

    Maria
    http://www.fitnessgirlkitchen.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow that looks seriously delicious! i love the crunchy top!! oooh!! thanks for sharing! and also, thanks for hosting this great link up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your class sounds incredibly creative. I think they are very lucky to have you as their teacher! I really like the sound of your wonderful vegetable ribbon kugel, especially with that lovely crunchy topping! Thank you so much for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for hosting:-)Have a wonderful week! Rebecca @ Natural Mothers Network ( Seasonal Celebration Sunday) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. The picture looks so good, I would have to make this more than once! Thanks for the idea and for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting idea to use chips for the crunch on top. Nice kugel. I linked a guest blogger post for losing weight on the Paleo Diet. Thanks for hosting

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hear you about mixing things up keeps your mind fresh and young. Great party thanks for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chaya,

    Thanks for sharing your creative ideas and for hosting!

    I'm sharing a delicious Glazed Beet and Chèvre Bruschetta, a Zucchini Salad with Mint, Feta & a Parsley Vinaigrette, and the perfect appetizer: Spring Pea and Avocado Crostinis.

    http://www.beyondthepeel.net/2012/06/spring-pea-avocado-crostini-recipe.html

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We love your Meatless Monday party and your veggie filled recipes so we've nominated your blog for "The Sunshine Award". Stop by Flavors by Four to check it out!! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for featuring my Citrus Hazelnut Bars. They were easy to make and so good to eat!
    Thank you for hosting and have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your Kugel looks yummy!
    Thanks for hosting and thanks for linking your link party with my Link Party Link-up! (Wow, that was a mouthful! lol)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yummy! That word about sums it up perfectly! My recipe for the week had ham in it, and although you can leave the ham out, I didn't feel right linking it up. I do have one for next week though ☺ Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks so good! I have never made this before. Thanks for the recipe.
    Blessings,
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've never had kugel, but it looks good. I appreciate your creativity and am not at all surprised that it spills over into your classroom :-)

    Can you believe that I have something meatless this week?! Thanks for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great idea for using the vegetable ribbons! The crispy top looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for featuring my almond flour bread! I'm glad you liked it! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That looks good - I have zucchini from our CSA that I need to use!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting.