Sunday, April 22, 2012

My Meatless Mondays - Roasted Root Vegetables




I find that I have become more daring, in my cooking, which does not mean that you would think, I am at all daring.  Daring, to me, means trying new foods or mixing a food with another that I had never considered before.  It means using "strange" sauces and going a little bit spicier.


Now, you look at this recipe and say, "What is she talking about?  Where is the daring?"


It's the BEETS.  It is not that I haven't eaten beets or cooked beets.  I certainly have but I have not roasted them.  Roasted vegetables only get better.  While, I have roasted many vegetables, I have avoided beets.  It is not the taste that I am running away from.  I thought everything would turn purple but fortunately, it did not happen.

Roasted Root Vegetables


2 large beets, cut into chunks
2 turnips, cut into chunks
1 large onion, cut into chunks
1/2 butternut squash, cut into chunks
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Place vegetables in a roasting pan.
Spray the vegetables with olive oil and toss them all to spread out the oil.
Put on your favorite herb or spice or a little salt and pepper or if you want a tinge of sweet, use honey or maple syrup.
Bake for 30 minutes or until vegetables are completely cooked.
Easy and Yum.


Looking back:
Creamy Cauliflower Crisp from Vegan Mommy Chef


Apple Broccoli Salad by Flavors by Four


Cherry Cobbler from the Pint Sized Baker    Vegetarian Side Dishes and at Priya's Easy N Tasty Recipes
You have a main, salad and dessert.  I would be very happy with this as my meal.


Looking forward to your links, this week.  Each recipes opens doors for better meals.
 Linked to Mop it Up Mondays      See Ya in the Gumbo   
Gluten-Free Weekly Menu Plan 
           Real Food Wednesdays      It's A Blog Party            Whole Food Wednesdays  
Pennywise Platter Thursday

14 comments:

  1. Chaya,
    I roasted beets for the first time a few weeks ago..they were amazing.
    Your vegetable mixture looks very healthy and inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for featuring my Cherry Cobbler. I've linked up another great dessert passed down from my Grandma. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love beets!! I try to slip them in to baked good all the time ;p I've shared a recipe for gluten free herb rolls, which can also double as a biscuit recipe. Thanks for hosting again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love beets!!! thanks for hosting the party. This week I linked up a very easy, tasty recipe for a quiche as well as an opportunity to win a Hand Held Mandolin slicer!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love roasted vegetables, and especially root vegetables. Beetroot taste so lovely when they are roasted. Your vegetables look beautiful! This week I have shared my Cheesy Roast Vegetable Pasta Bake. Thank you for hosting , and have a lovely week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chaya, I love roasted beets! I had a craving for them the other day and we made a delicious spinach and roasted beet salad with toasted pecans. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for hosting today! We love roasted beets and yours look delicious. I shared some yummy Portobella Pizza's today. Have a great week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cooking with beets would be daring for me too! Thanks for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love roasted root veggies! They are definitely my go-to vegetarian meal!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved the theme.surely send my entry.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What you are roasting makes me hungry:)

    Thank you for hosting the hop once again. Added your hop badge here: http://bloghops.olahmomma.com/bloghop/monday (this is a new site). Already your follower too.

    My recent posts:
    Crafting >> http://olahmomma.com/blog/game-called-math-improvised-math-flash-cards
    Cooking >> http://olahmomma.com/blog/sesame-garlic-spinach-stir-fry

    ReplyDelete
  12. Roasted vegetables rock & yours look fabulous! I've never included beets in mine and may just have to incorporate them the next time I make this dish! :-)

    Each week I host a week-long party called Inspire Me Monday at Create With Joy. I would love for you to share your favorite Recipes (or other inspirations) with us!

    Have a fabulous week!

    Create With Joy
    http://create-with-joy.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm featuring your roasted root vegetables at this week's See Ya In the Gumbo. They were one of the most-viewed links last week!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting.