Friday, April 6, 2012

Homemade Horseradish - Chrein



For one week, a year, maybe two, if it lasts that long, we eat horseradish made by me.  I look forward to this.  It is so delicious and much better than the bottled stuff.  It is easy to make if you use a food processor.

Since we buy horseradish roots for Passover and the stores have plenty of them, this is the perfect time to make this, for us.

Homemade Horseradish

Ingredients:


1 small horseradish root, peeled
1/2 large raw beet (you can use a small - I had a large one), peeled
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
1/4 cup lemon juice


Method:

Place beet and horseradish root into blender, cut into pieces that fit into the opening.
Using the separate blade for chopping and run until you see everything has blended.  You will still small separate pieces but the two vegetables are now as one.


Place in bowl or container and add salt, sugar and lemon juice.  Mix together and keep in refrigerator until you are ready to use it.


It is delicious with gefilte fish.

4 comments:

  1. I never think to use fresh horseradish...this is so good to know! How long does it last?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've yet seen a fresh horseradish before. Oh how I enjoy having the horseradish pickled with my sandwiches. Long ago...
    Krisyt

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Passover from a Christian follower.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a GREAT recipe, Chaya. I've "made" horseradish before but never with beets! Thank you so much for sharing...Enjoy the Holiday:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting.