Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Nutty Quinoa Pilaf

Quinoa Pilaf with Pine Nuts that Turned into Cashews


This is for CEiMB, Craving Ellie in My Belly found here.  Everyone is welcome to share Ellie Krieger recipes there so join us, in the fun, we have.


I set out to make Ellie's recipe, just as it was stated until, I went to take out the pine nuts.  I know where, I keep them, the one place I keep them, the only place, I keep them.....the particular spot where they belong.  Have I made myself clear?  You do know what is coming?


The brand new container of pine nuts was not there, nowhere to be seen.  I took out all the different kinds of nuts and dried fruit----no pine nuts.  I figured, as organized, as I try to be, I must have place it in another cabinet.  I went on a traditional search, pulling apart every drawer and every cabinet, piling up foodstuff on the counters, replacing them and over and over searching for my pine nuts.


Finally, in desperation, I took out the cashews.  They were where, I left them.  They did not take off and hide.  They welcome being used and even toasted nicely.


Not too much later, hubby came home and we had a rather nice dinner, one that starred the Quinoa Pilaf with CASHEWS, not PINE NUTS.  I, ever so casually mentioned, to my husband, I lost my pine nuts.  I am now gritting my teeth, as I remember what he said.


"Oh, I moved them."  SILENCE.


More silence.  I was not about to respond.  Who knows what would have come out of my mouth?  I know, what I wanted to say.....yes, I do.  I held it in.   


Five minutes later, I calmly asked why he had moved my pine nuts.  


"I thought they should be in that drawer instead of on the shelf."  More silence on my part.


Is there a woman out there who understand why a man would move the pine nuts, especially, since he does not know what a pine nut is?  I am working on looking at this rationally.......not doing a good job.  If you can help, please do.


Let me sum this up by telling you that this quinoa dish is good but I would have liked it better with dried apricots or cranberries added.  A touch of sweet would have improved it.  I will, most likely, make it again but with a little brown sugar and a dried fruit.  I refuse to comment on whether I plan to use pine nuts.  Who knows where they will be, by then?


You can find this quick and easy recipe at the Food Network.  If you decide to make this, please hide the pine nuts where no one can find them and remember where you put them.
For other recipes by Ellie who is a healthy and tasty cook, please stop at CEiMB or at any of Ellie's pages.
Cast Party Wednesday    Allergy Free Wednesdays     Pennywise Platter    See Ya In the Gumbo  Hearth and Soul

8 comments:

  1. pine nuts are an expensive thing to loose! i'm glad they were safe. my partner knows not to touch anything in the kitchen. that being said, he IS in charge of the dishes each night and i often find my good pairing knife shoved in with the steak knives, or my garlic crusher accidentally put in with the spoons. sometimes i think he suffers from a brain aneurism ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I shouldn't be "grinning" Chaya but I just can't help it. Why oh why any man who doesn't know what a pine nut is would move it is beyond me, lol...what a cute story though and it looks like you've created a mighty tasty looking dish. (seriously, need is the mother of invention:)

    Thank you so much for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delish! I still have leftover quinoa, so this is another great way to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank You for participating in Show Your Stuff Blog Hop, You are invited to come back:
    http://juliejewels1.blogspot.com/2012/02/stuffed-green-peppers-show-your-stuff.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very creative! Thank you for sharing your recipe on AFW! Be sure to check back next week for reader favorites and hostess picks.

    Be Well,
    --AFW Hostesses

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love a good pilaf as a side dish! This sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You made me laugh reading this post! I absolutely know how you felt.

    Your idea of using cranberries sounds like a good one--I think that's how I would want to eat this dish.

    Thanks for linking with See Ya In the Gumbo. I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting.