Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Potato Croquettes - the Best



I saw a recipe on Savory Simple and in it appeared the makings of a delicious side.  I feel badly that I went so far from the original recipe but I had the decision to make whether, I make it with cheese or sausage.  I think you would love the original recipe and it might be a good idea to go visit and see what it is all about.  I must tell you though, after eating these, many of these, they are fabulous and you don't usually read this word, used with my dishes. The best..................


Ingredients:

1 large Idaho Russet Potato, chunked
2 tablespoons milk
1/4 cup egg beater 3 tablespoons brown rice flour
1/3 cup yellow onions, diced
1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
1/4 cup shredded Mexican cheese
1/3 cup plain gluten free Rice Chex crumbs
Canola oil, for frying

Method:

Boil the potato pieces in saucepan for 15 minutes or until fork tender. Cool and then mash them. You should have approximately 1 cup of mashed potatoes.

Add the milk, egg beater & flour to the potato. Combine well and set aside.

In a saute pan, fry onions in canola oil, over low flame. Saute for a few minutes until onion becomes translucent and browns slightly. Set aside.

Toast the pine nuts in a dry skillet for 2 - 3 minutes until you sense the fragrance from the nuts. Put nuts aside.

Heat more canola oil in skillet.

Place crumbs in a low (soup) bowl.

Combine the potato mixture, pine nuts and Mexican cheese. Measure out 2 tablespoons of the mixture and use your hands to form into a patty. Coat with Rice Chex crumbs. Repeat with the rest of the mixture.

Fry the croquettes until golden brown, approximately 2-3 minutes, each side..

Remove them from skillet a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.


These are delicious, crispy-crunchy, on the outside, and soft and stringy (cheese) on the inside. I hope to make this a regular at our table.

Linked to Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays Gluten Free Wednesday Cast Party Wednesdays    Allergy Free 

4 comments:

  1. They look soooo good, hmmmm I want one. The way you describe them makes me hungry: delicious, crispy-crunchy, on the outside, and soft and stringy (cheese) on the inside. Ohhhh, I really want one :-) Thanks for the nice comment on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These croquettes look so tasty! Thank you so much for sharing your great recipe on Allergy-Free Wednesdays! Be sure to check back next week for recipe highlights (including the top 3 reader choice submissions and hostess favorites).

    Be Well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am featuring your recipe on AFW tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm always sold on something crispy on the outside and gooey on the inside. These are incredible! Thanks for sharing with See Ya In the Gumbo.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting.