Thursday, February 9, 2012

Cabbage Soup - Change of Pace



From reading blogs, I get the feeling, cabbage is not a popular vegetable.  For me, it is up to, the way it is cooked.  Stuffed cabbage is one of the best meals, one can have, in my opinion.  Coleslaw, while good, is not stupendous.  


As far as soups go, my favorites are creamy soups and I plan to make my next cabbage soup creamy and cheesy to see if it holds itself to the standards of a potato or corn soup.  With an immersion blender, on hand, we are able to create all kinds of textures and give soup depth of flavor and texture.


This leads me to my soup of the day, cabbage soup.  I am betting, many of you, are looking away and going to places where you can find a cheesy potato soup.  Oh, you can find that here, too.  


I made this cabbage soup and it was good so, if you dare, enjoy it, also.


Cabbage Soup


Ingredients:

1 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
3 cups chicken soup (this time, I used chicken soup from the freezer)
3 cups water
salt and black pepper to taste
1 bag shredded cabbage (1 pound)

1 carrot, sliced thin
1 medium potato, diced
1 15 ounce can of diced tomatoes
1 teaspoon dill

Method:
In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. 
Stir in onion; cook until onion is transparent, about 5 minutes.
Stir in chicken soup, water, garlic powder salt, and pepper. 
Bring to a boil, then stir in carrot and potato pieces. 
Cook for 10 minutes and add the cabbage.
Simmer until cabbage wilts, about 10 minutes.
Stir in tomatoes. Return to a boil, then simmer 15 to 30 minutes, stirring often.
Add dill, before serving.


This is linked to Gluten Free Wednesdays     

7 comments:

  1. I made something like this just minus the potatoes and loved it. The only thing is, I spilled it down the side of me while carrying it into work for lunch that day. I smelled really bad all say long. LoL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore cabbage - and it's sooo good for you too! This looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love cabbage. Ever tried sauteed cabbage and noodles? The best..
    Your soup looks very soothing and warming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your soup looks nice. We always have cabbage, though I've never tried it in a soup before. We have it in coleslaw and beef mince and cabbage stir fry amoung other things. My wife also loves Kimchi which is a Korean dish of pickled cabbage.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great change of pace! This soup looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love cabbage soup and yours looks wonderful. I do an unstuffed cabbage soup that is good too. We grew up with lots of cabbage so I appreciate it too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not much of a cabbage eater, but this does sound good! Thanks for linking it to GF Wednesdays.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting.