Thursday, January 26, 2012

Spicy Fried Rice with Cashews




CEiMB is joining together to make fried rice but as far as I am concerned, this is far from the "traditional fried rice, I am used to.  I love the rice in almost any version but Ellie Krieger has really come up with the most delicious recipe.


I could eat this every week and I think, it would take, quite a while, for me to get sick of it.  Another Ellie success..... 


I was out of peanuts so I used cashews but frankly, I like cashews and I tolerate peanuts.  Note, I did not say peanut butter - just peanuts......  For a change, I followed the recipe almost to the word, other than the peanuts.  The recipe is quick to make except for cutting up the chicken.  Next time, I would cook and cut the chicken, earlier in the day.  Also, I suggest chopping the onions and red peppers ahead of time.  Then, you are basically putting it all together and the cooking is fast.


Spicy Fried Rice with Cashews - adapted from Ellie Krieger

Ingredients:


  • 1/4 cup less-sodium soy sauce
  • tablespoon dark brown sugar
  • teaspoon dark sesame oil
  • 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • tablespoons canola oil
  • cups red bell peppers , diced (about 2)
  • cup onion , diced
  • 1/4 cup green onion , thinly sliced and divided
  • tablespoons fresh ginger , peeled and minced
  • cups brown rice , cooked and cold
  • cups chicken , cooked and diced (about 1 pound)
  • 1 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts , drained and chopped
  • 1/3 cup dry-roasted unsalted peanuts  (I used cashews)

Method:

Combine first 4 ingredients in a small bowl; stir well with a whisk.

Heat canola oil in a wok or large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add bell peppers, diced onion, and 2 tablespoons green onions to pan; stir-fry 3 minutes or until tender. 

Add ginger and garlic; stir-fry 1 minute. 

Add rice, chicken, and water chestnuts; stir-fry for 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated, stirring gently. 

Add soy sauce mixture; cook 2 minutes more, tossing to coat. 

Sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons green onions and cashews.

I plan to find all kind of excuses to use this sauce.  It was just wonderful.

Stop over at CEiMB and see who else is eating spicy fried rice.  If you would like to join in, with us, leave a message there or with any of the members.  It is a great group of foodies who welcome you.

17 comments:

  1. Yours looks so good. I have tried several recipes and I must do something wrong along the way cause my rice is always sticky.. I like drier rice .
    Thank you for this recipe as well as the suggestions about cutting and cooking the chicken and veggies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this looks delicious Chaya. I almost put almonds on top of mine instead of peanuts. I will definitely be making this again and again. Great pick! sorry I could not post due to no photo. Maybe next time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a great CEinMB pick. Something quick and easy we can make regularly. Thanks for this one.

    Yours looks so much better than mine!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks absolutely delicious Chaya! I have one of Ellie's cookbooks that I haven't even cooked from yet - I need to get it down ASAP. Everything you make from her looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds so tasty! I love fried rice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh this sounds delicious, Chaya. I've been making my own fried rice these days because it seems central PA is not a place to get good fried rice (and I miss it so:) I'll be saving this for sure, Spicy and cashews just sounds so darn good!!!

    Thank you so much for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love cashews and this looks like a great light one pot meal.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks so delicicious - I adore cashews. I am making stir fry tonight with cashews, and can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello, it's me again... as mentioned I eat rice daily... but we usually have it plain white jasmine rice. so it would be great to let our plain white rice take a day off and try make your spicy fried rice with cashews! thanks again,
    malou

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great choice! We enjoyed it a lot and I squirreled some away to take in my lunch for work this week...perfect for that! Yours looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love fried rice, and I love cashews so this recipe is perfect for me! I like the addition of the ginger too. Thank you for sharing this post with the Gallery of Favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thumbs up for this! Great colors, flavors, and textures. I've liked all the Ellie Krieger recipes I've tried and really should try out more. Spicy fried rice looks like a great one. Thanks for linking it with See Ya In the Gumbo.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a yummy looking recipe. I've got to make it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely combination of ingredients, and love that you used cashews instead of peanuts. I also love that this uses brown rice, and appreciate your tips for preparation i advance.

    Thanks for sharing at Cookbook Sundays.

    Sue xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a delicious looking fried rice. I love the addition of cashews.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yum! This really sounds delicious. I love cashews. Thanks for sharing at Things That Make You Say Mmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  17. These look so yummy and I can't wait to try it. I shared your post on my blog this week.

    http://therickettchronicles.blogspot.com/2012/02/56-must-try-tuesday-february-14-2012.html

    Thanks for sharing!

    Wende
    The Rickett Chronicles

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting.