Sunday, January 8, 2012

My Meatless Mondays - Onion Kugel

If you have sweet or savory baked goods, please link then to Bake with Bizzy.  Check out the delicious recipes. already linked.

It is unusual for me to make two kugels, in one week, but I did just that, last week.  I made an Apple-Cabbage Kugel, which is posted on Bizzy Bakes.  This is my favorite of the two, which does not mean that the Onion Kugel was not terrific.  It stands up for itself with just one taste.

When I make meatless meals, one of the sides becomes the star and I work around it.  I made this, originally, to go with chicken but as a meatless meal, it would be the main food and I would serve it with an orange and a green vegetable.  It could be sweet potato and green beans or peas and carrots.

Onion Kugel


Ingredients:

5 onions, grated and drained
2 tablespoons of an onion soup mix
1/4 cup olive oil
2/3 cup water
1 cup gluten-free flour mixture or all purpose flour
1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder 
1/8 teaspoon salt 
2 eggs
dash of black pepper


Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease a pie pan.
Mix all of the ingredients together. Pour in to prepared pie pan.
Bake in a 350 degree oven until a toothpick comes clean (about 35-45 minutes.) 
Enjoy.                                                                                                                      

Time to look back to last week and some great ideas for our meatless meals.
First, we have this this Black Bean and Roasted Vegetable Salad - Yum.


SUNDAY, 1 JANUARY 2012


Black Bean and Roasted Vegetable Salad GF SCD from Gluten-free, SCD and Veggie.


Now, we have this Sweet and Spicy Lentils with Harissa.  I have learned to love anything with lentils.  This is from Allergy Free Vintage Cookery.

Next is Lentil Stew with Creamed Corn from the Lovely Cupboard.  Lentils and corn in one meal.....wow!  I am hungry.

We must have dessert and here it is.  Kristy made a Vegan Banana Cake and as usual, she made a beauty.  This is from My Little Space.

We will finish up with a Green Smoothie from Sidetracked Sara

Linked to   $5 Dinners
What meatless meals are you having.  Please link below.



11 comments:

  1. My garlicky sauerkraut is a great condiment for any meal, full of healthy probiotics. Be sure to stop by and join my Cultured Foods 2012 challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your kugel looks light and delicious. We love a savory kugel instead of sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is the onion soup mix for flavoring or for holding together the mixture? Because I don't have any on hand, but this recipe looks too good to pass up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This all looks so good! I must say that the black bean salad jumped off the page at me! So delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,
    I shared 8 Reasons to Add Probiotic Foods to Your Diet. Also a video for making coconut water kefir.

    Join me in my Probiotic Foods Challenge starting January 9 at Real Food Forager!

    http://realfoodforager.com/28-day-probiotic-food-challenge-signup/

    Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your onion kugel looks and sounds wonderful! Thank you for sharing it, and for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the risotto recipe I am sharing this week. It has a really comforting taste :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for hosting a fun party. I brought this filling, nutritious 3 minutes salad of lentils and bocconcini. I hope you have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your weekly link ups to meatless Monday! I enjoy seeing what everyone makes week to week. This week I am sharing my homemade non dairy peanut butter bars. We grind our grain, and use all natural ingredients, so they are delicious and healthy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loooove onion kugel, and your looks yummy!
    Thanks for reminding me as it's been ages since I made it.
    Thanks for hosting this party :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kugel looks delicious!!Linked curry powder recipe & Lamprais which is not a pure vegetarian dish,but it is a savory baked rice.An authentic Dutch Burgher Cuisine from Sri Lanka...
    Thanks for hosting...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting.