Sunday, January 22, 2012

My Meatless Mondays - Cheese & Red Pepper Latkes


Saturday night, I usually make something different, casual and hopefully appealing.  That might mean pizza or pasta or pancakes  Tonight, I made a brand new recipe, Cheese and Red Pepper Latkes.   There is no way, this was not going to be good but also it was going to be unhealthy.


Despite the last fact, I made the pancakes as described and now, I know how to do this without so much fat and I bet, it will turn out just as good.  I hope to make these again soon and I will share my makeover with you, when this happens.

This is the original recipe with a few modifications.  You can find it online, here.


Cheese & Red Pepper Latkes Recipe  adapted  --  Yield: 12 Servings

Ingredients:
2 large onions, finely chopped
2 medium sweet red peppers, finely chopped
1 tablespoon red pepper dip
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 large Idaho potatoes, peeled and shredded
1cup grated Parmesan cheese
1-1/2 cups shredded Mexican mix
1 cup gluten-free flour mixture
3/4 cup sour cream
3/4 cup olive oil
Minced fresh parsley
Method:
In a large skillet, saute onions and red peppers in butter until tender. Add garlic and pepper; cook 1 minute longer.
Transfer to a large bowl. Add the potatoes, cheeses, flour, sour cream and mix well.
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Drop batter by 1/4 cupfuls into oil; press lightly to flatten. 

Fry in batches until golden brown on both sides, using remaining oil as needed. 

Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 3 dozen.          

Time to look back at a few of the submissions, last week, for My Meatless Mondays.  Thanks for your support and more important, for these great ideas for meatless dishes.

Lettuce Soup with Goat Cheese Croutons from Galley Kitchen
                      
How about some Rich, Buttery Crackers to have with the lettuce soup, from http://raisingdieter.blogspot.com/2012/01/rich-buttery-crackersyum.html

After our soup with crackers, let's have Eggplant Parmesan from Kosher Cookbook.                                                 






















Our side dish comes from Beyond The Peel, Kabocha Squash Gnocchi.

We need dessert and I am not sure how to make a decision on that.  Such punishment for me having to pick two tempting dishes.  The first is Peanut Butter  Cup Truffles from Suburban Prarie Homemaker

Our second dessert is a light version of Banana Pudding from Imitation by Design.

What a meal, we are having.  Let's see what our meal will be, next week?  Please link up below and thanks.  Linked to Cook Book Sundays  Gallery of Favorites  Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker                 Tuesday’s Tasty Tidbits 

19 comments:

  1. I wish that my husband would and that my daughter could eat cheese as I would make your latkes in a heartbeat! I may have to make a batch one time when they aren't going to be around as I'm drooling for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    I shared my video for dripping yogurt for whey and yogurt cheese and a video for making sauerkraut.

    Join me in my Probiotic Foods Challenge starting January 9 at Real Food Forager!
    http://realfoodforager.com/28-day-probiotic-food-challenge-signup/

    And link up your cultured and fermented foods here!
    http://realfoodforager.com/probiotic-food-challenge-linky/
    Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything looks amazing....but those latkes are stunning! LOVE them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for hosting! I posted an easy cultured mustard recipe!

    http://naturallivingsocal.blogspot.com/2012/01/cultured-lacto-fermented-mustard.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your latke recipe sounds divine. I look forward to trying it out.Thank you for featuring my gnocchi recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Chaya :)
    I looooooooove your Latkes - I'm a veg and these are specially for me :)
    They look chubby and delicious

    I've linked up to my "Apple Tart" and to my "Teddy-Bear Challah"
    I hope you have a wonderful week, and thanks for hosting this party
    Winnie

    ReplyDelete
  7. We love red peppers in our house, and your latkes look mouthwatering. The featured recipes are lovely too. Thank you for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those latkes sound so delicious with those extra flavors in there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Since you requested for veggie recipes, here's a favorite!!
    http://tessadomesticdiva.blogspot.com/2011/11/totally-addictive-kale-chips.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, these look delicious - this is the kind of thing that I would like to have for a Sunday night supper.

    Thanks for sharing with Cookbook Sundays.

    Sue xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd love to try these! They sound really good and really savory!

    Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for hosting! This is my first time joining up with the link party, but will definitely be back next week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for hosting! This is my first time joining the linking party, but will definitely be joining next week! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for featuring my Banana Pudding and stopping by to visit my blog! I can't wait to get to cooking and be able to link up again. =)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your latkes! They look so tasty! I've linked up again this week. Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your latkes look amazing! I'm anxious to see your healthier version, but these are definitely on my "must make" list. I linked to you from Tuesdays Tasty Tidbits. I would love if you would drop by and link up to my Super Bowl Eats and Treats Party!
    http://www.thefreshmancook.blogspot.com/2012/01/super-bowl-eats-treats-blog-party.html

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. i made my first blog recipe..pancakes and they are GAPS friendly

    http://gutsyhealth.wordpress.com/2012/01/24/gaps-pancakes/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your latkes are making me hungry! I love the spicy twist on this recipe. Thanks for sharing it with the Gallery.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting.