Sunday, January 15, 2012

Meatless Mondays - Sweet Crockpot Root Veggie Soup

Going through a recent Woman's Day magazine, I was pleasantly surprised to come across a few recipes, I want to make.  The first recipe that grabbed my attention was one for sweet potato soup.  Not leaving recipes the way they are presented, this became an Autumn Root Vegetable Soup, with parsnip, turnip, carrots, onion, and sweet potato.  The sweet potato gave this mixture, a subtle sweet taste which is delicious.


Sweet Crockpot Root Veggie Soup (adapted)

Ingredients:
2 onions, chopped
2 medium carrots, cut into 1-in. pieces
2 sweet potatoes, cut into 2-in. pieces
1 turnip, cut into 6 pieces
1 parsnip, cut into inch pieces
1 tablespoon(s) grated fresh ginger
1 tablespoon(s) mild curry powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Method:
In a 3-qt slow cooker, combine the onions, carrots, potatoes, ginger, curry, cinnamon, ¼ tsp pepper and 4 cups water.

Cook, covered, until the vegetables are very tender, on low for 7 to 8 hours or on high for 4 to 5 hours. Using an immersion blender, purée the soup.

Top with the almonds and dollop with the yogurt, if desired.

Tips from Woman's Day --- Freeze the soup for up to 3 months. T haw in the refrigerator overnight. Reheat in a large saucepan, covered, over medium heat for about 15 minutes.



























/> Cranberry Pecan Salad with Strawberry Vinaigrette from Hezzi-D' Books and Cooks
  

3 Minute Lentil Bocconcini Salad from Beyond the Peel


Vanilla Toffee Ice Cream from Gluten Free Pantry


Black Forest Cupcakes from Gloria of Canela Kitchen








Permanent Posies
Linked to Sunday Night Soup Night                  Real Food Wednesdays           We are That Family    Trick or Treat Tuesday              Cast Party Wednesday        Whole Food Wednesdays       Pennywise Platter Thursday



20 comments:

  1. Is that recipe from the latest Woman's Day, Chaya? Because I think it is the one Marion showed me the other day. Maybe I can give her yours so I don't need to make it, lol...However, it sure looks soothing and tasty!

    I give you credit for sticking with the Meatless Mondays. It isn't easy I know. Love the other links. Don't Gloria's Cupcakes look heavenly???

    Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    I shared my video for making homemade yogurt (SCD/GAPS) and a guest post about getting started with cultured foods. Also an interview with the author of “Could It Be B12? “ and a video for making Lacto-Fermented Beet Kvass.

    Join me in my Probiotic Foods Challenge starting January 9 at Real Food Forager!
    http://realfoodforager.com/28-day-probiotic-food-challenge-signup/

    And link up your cultured and fermented foods here!
    http://realfoodforager.com/probiotic-food-challenge-linky/
    Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi again!! I actually posting on time this time....i think you will like my newest creation!! Plenty of health and nutrition in these little bars!

    http://tessadomesticdiva.blogspot.com/2012/01/gluten-free-vegan-fig-newton-bars.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for hosting! We are doing a cultured food challenge too...join me for Cultured Mondays. Today I posted a yummy cultured ginger root.

    http://naturallivingsocal.blogspot.com/2012/01/cultured-foods-monday.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for hosting and for featuring one of my recipes. I love your roasted root vegetable soup. It sounds wonderful. I'm sharing a squash gnocchi recipe with a curried fig butter. Have a great week and I hope to see you this week for Whole Food Wednesdays.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your soup very much - wonderful color
    These is nothing like a hot soup in the winter time :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your lovely seasonal soup sounds delicious! Thank you for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We love homemade soups and this sounds great, can use several different kinds of veggies on hand but keep the sweet potato flavor. Thanks!

    Alyzabeth's Mommy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everything looks awesome, I am sharing my Dilly Bread today. Thanks for hosting and have a wonderful week!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love to roast root vegetables in the winter, but I've never made a soup from this combination. I sounds wonderful and like a soup that would really warm up your body and soul on a cold winter day! Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish I had a crockpot. Would be lovely to try that soup!

    Also: Why is there a link with chicken in the link ups? (nr 21)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing! One of my goals this year is to try add more veggies to our diet. This would be a great recipe to try some new veggies. =)

    Jennifer at http://imitationbydesign.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks so much for the invite :) and for hosting too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hm...not sure why my name showed up rather than the name of my dish. I added #44 - Lettuce Soup with Goat Cheese Croutons. Can that be edited?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your soup looks delicious, I love root vegetables and the spices sound perfect. Thanks for sharing this with Sunday Night Soup Night, look forward to seeing you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love a good soup on a cold winter day!! This one sounds delicious. Thank you for sharing with Trick or Treat Tuesday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi There,

    Just a note to let you know I shared your awesome soup recipe on my monthly recipe round-up. If you get a chance, come on over and check out the other delightfully comforting soups.

    http://www.thetastyalternative.com/2012/02/monthly-round-up-february-2012.html

    Slurp-Slurp!

    Be Well,
    --Amber

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting.