Sunday, November 13, 2011

My Meatless Mondays - Apples in Sweet Potato Crust

I am a sucker for new ideas and a sweet potato crust is a new idea.  The question, I had, was could I put into it.  I thought about  a sweet dairy filling, maybe like a cheesecake.  Then, I gave vegetables a thought but the vision of apples kept staring me in the face and I decided to go with it.  I think, it was a good choice.  I made an apple betty which is something like apple pie filling without the pie crust.  I figured, this was just right for my experimental crust.  It was.


Apple Betty in Sweet Potato Crust


Crust:

4 medium sweet potatoes (peeled, cooked and mashed)
1 large egg
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 teaspoon olive oil
(I bet a cup of flour would work with the above.)

Mix all ingredients. 
Spray deep dish pie plate with non-stick cooking spray.
Form sweet potato as a crust into plate. Use your fingers to fit it to the shape of the pie plate.
Bake at 350 degrees for 15 min.
Remove from oven and put aside.

Filling:


5 large thinly sliced apples
  • 1/4 cup orange juice
  • 3/4 cup brown rice or all purpose flour
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
  • 1 pinch salt
  • 1/4 cup Canola or Olive oil

Method:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. 

Pile up sliced apples in the sweet potato crust. Sprinkle with orange juice.

In a medium bowl, mix the flour, sugar, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice and salt. 

Add the oil and mix.

Sprinkle over the apples.

Bake for 45 minutes.

I was surprised and happy with the taste of this dish.  I served it as a side dish as I would an apple kugel or a sweet potato dish.  I thought a sweet potato crust might not go over well as a dessert.  It did work out as a side dish and I think, it would be just wonderful as a dessert. 


I apologize.   I was not home for the day so I could not get this up.  Well, I could have, if I had thought of this, last night.  I have a pile of papers to grade, plans to do, a model lesson to give and real life.  So MMM waited but here I am just waiting to see what you are going to share with us.  


Please link up below.  If you have a baked dish, either sweet or savory, and some time, please drop by Bizzy Bakes and link it up.


PermanetPosies.com 

See Ya in the Gumbo        Side Dish Saturdays       $5 Dinners

11 comments:

  1. What was the crust texture like? Did it get the same thickenness/weight bearing ability as a regular crust?

    I love your idea-- I am curious to hear about some of the specifics :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUMMY...all these look so good. Hope to visit each one.

    Your apple pie looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for hosting! I posted a recipe for wite bean soup with zucchini and black olives.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like such an interesting crust. It would give a fantastic flavour and is so much healthier than normal pie crust. I like the idea of the apple filling too. Thank you for sharing another wonderful meatless recipe and for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,
    I shared my amazing GF Cocoa Butter Layer Cake with a how to video.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the idea of the sweet potato crust, but I'm unclear. Do you add 1 cup of flour or.. no flour?? Looks great. This week I linked a sugar free, gluten free apple, yam , and cranberry bake that is delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your Apples in Sweet Potato Crust looks awesome! Hope you have a great week and thanks for hosting!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  8. This pie sounds fantastic! I love the crust idea and I bet those flavors blend wonderfully. Thanks for hosting! Linking up with some roasted baby carrots this week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another delicious looking treat from Chaya! Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love apples and sweet potato!! gloria

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing with See Ya In the Gumbo! I'm really impressed and intrigued by this idea. Also, the topping looks fantastic--it would be hard for me not to sneak little bits from the top.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting.