Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Cranberry Harvest Muffins - Ina's Garden

          
I have baked a few cakes and cookies from Ina but really not enough to know her baking secrets other than she is like Paula Deen and uses lots of butter, which I usually cut back on.  They have always been delicious despite my being butter challenged.

I decided, I would either pick a chocolate recipe for my grandchildren who deserve every bit of sweet love, we can give them or muffins for my muffin man, my husband.  Hubby won because he is here and will get to his treat, faster than the kids.

These turned out to be good.  I thought, I had figs which were called for until realizing, at the last minute, I had used them up, for another recipe.  Dried fruit was a logical substitute and my challenge was to decide which one would go with the cranberries. Dried apples or dried pears popped into my mind first.  After some additional thought, I realized, I always like the combo of cranberries and orange or apricot.  Since, orange was out of the question. apricot won.  It is a good combination and proved itself, once again.

I recommend these. 

Cranberry Harvest Muffins courtesy Open House Cookbook by Sarah Chase, and as reprinted in The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook,

Ingredients:

  • 3 cups gluten-free flour
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
  • 2 teaspoons ground ginger
  • 1 1/4 cups Rice milk
  • 2  eggs
  • 7 ounces oil
  • 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped fresh cranberries
  • 1/2 cup dried apricots
  • 3/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts, toasted 
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar

Method:

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. 

Line 18 muffin cups with paper liners. Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and 
ginger in a large bowl. 

Make a well in the center of the mixture and add the milk, eggs, and melted butter. Stir quickly just to combine. 

Add the cranberries, apricots,walnuts, and both sugars and stir just to distribute the fruits, nuts, and sugar evenly 
throughout the batter. 


Spoon the batter into the paper liners, filling each one to the top. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until browned on 
the top and a toothpick inserted in the center of the muffins comes out clean. (I use a small sharp knife.  I am 
trying to remember, if I learned that from Dorie.)









Linked to




7 comments:

  1. You've made me so happy that I have cranberries in my freezer! these muffins look like a great way to start the day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These muffins look wonderful Chaya! I love the spices, and all the lovely dried fruit and nuts in them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What lovely muffins to wake up to with coffee each morn!
    Makes me wish i lived round the corner , sure i can bake a batch too and i have dry cranberries too!
    Am amazed how u baked up 2 goodies dear pal!
    Well there sure are very delicious days at ur place sweety!
    All those nuts and cinnamon and ginger...oh i feel warm and hugged!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy! Thanks so much for sharing on Momtrends' Friday Food linky. Stay cool and have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your muffins sounds delish!!! Thanks so much for sharing your recipe at the Tuesday To Do Party!
    Smiles!
    Jami
    www.blackberryvine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum. Cranberries, apricots, and walnuts sound like a great combination.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting.