Sunday, May 8, 2011

My Meatless Mondays - May 8, 2011 Mothers' Day -- Indian Rice

Happy Mothers' Day to all the Moms in Foodyville.

It feels good to be back in normal pace in my life.  I have to share this most delicious Indian Rice.  I had made a super-delicious rice side for the Sabbath.  We had enough left over for another meal but I wanted to make it a little different.  I checked out Taste of Home, believing they would have a simple recipe that I could transform, my cooked dish, into.  I found this Indian Rice.  I am  not sure how the rice could have gotten better, but it did. 

Indian Rice 

I followed the recipe, using my cooked rice.  I used shawarma seasoning, in place of, the curry powder.  I adapted the recipe slightly,  using half oil and half margarine instead of butter.

4 Servings

Ingredients

  • 1 tablespoon margarine
  • 1 tablespoon Canola oil
  • 1/4 cup thinly sliced onion
  • 3 tablespoons slivered almonds
  • 1/2 teaspoon shawarma seasoning
  • 1/4 cup golden raisins
  • 2 cups hot cooked long grain rice

Method:

  • In a saucepan, heat margarine and oil.
  • Add onion, almonds shawarma seasoning.
  • Cook until golden brown. 
  • Stir in raisins; heat until the raisins plump, about 5 minutes. 
  • Remove from the heat and stir in rice.
Serve immediately. Yield: 4 servings.




I thought, I would select Mothers' Day recipes, from last week, to feature to help me make choices and then got stuck, as usual.  I decided to feature the muffins, all which would be appropriate for Mothers' Day and all which  are terrific.


Lani made strawberry muffins at Food: Cooking and Capturing.  Don't these look yummy?




Next we have a healthy and delicious muffin from Eating in Winnipeg.  How does Raisin Bran Flax seed Muffins sound to you? 




For a completely different type of muffin, we have Spicy Corn Muffins from Martha of Seaside Simplicity.  Martha is one of those multi-talented people who does everything well, including making corn muffins.


 


Muffins anyone?  I searched and could not find any other muffins but I keep thinking there was one other.  Please, if I missed anyone, let me know.

Linked to The Great  Cooking Magazine Challenge
Hearth n Soul at A Moderate Life
Tasty Tidbits at Permanent Posies
 
Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays


 

20 comments:

  1. Your Indian Rice looks so delicious! All the muffin choices wonderful too. Thanks for sharing mine among them and thanks so much for the lovely compliment! Have a wonderful Mother's Day ((Hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your rice sounds good. Taste of Home is really reliable for great recipes. Thanks for playing along in my Cooking Magazine Challenge. I will link up...although my recipe does have bacon. You could easily leave that out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the almonds in the rice will diffinitely try this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The muffins look so yummy... and thanks for the rice recipe... This is a new one!
    Have a great Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't rice this kind of Indian rice, looks delicous! Thankyou so much for featuring whole wheat strawberry muffin. I really appreciate it! Have a great week ahead of you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a big fan of rice, so i would definitely try it. Happy Mother's Day. I am your new follower. You can visit me at http://showmemama.com. Make sure you leave a comment so I know you visited.

    Have a great weekend
    ShowMeMama

    ReplyDelete
  7. You were right, we were the other muffin recipe. Thanks!

    http://www.talkingdollarsandcents.net/caramel-pudding-muffins

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for hosting.Its nice to be back here

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your Indian Rice looks delicious, so full of flavor. Thank you for hosting today and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would definitely try this rice recipe, it looks delicious and I love Indian food!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That rice looks delicious!

    (The Lucky Wife via The Chef @ The Saturday Evening Pot)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the look and sound of that wonderful Indian Rice, and the featured recipes look lovely too. Thank you for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Meatless MOnday to all! Another great job. Bravo! Hope you're enjoying the day, Chaya dear.
    Blessings, Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh thanks for featuring my muffins! they are seriously good if i do say so myself!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the roundup. Great recipes. I can always use a new muffin recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for hosting this again :) I hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Chaya, this rice dish sounds great - perfect for a meatless dish! Love the idea of the shwarma seasoning.

    Thanks so much for stopping by my blog today - it was really lovely to hear from you :-)

    Sue xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Delicious looking Indian Rice!

    Thanks for another week of hosting! I'm back with my banana bread with walnut crumble!

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yet another lovely collection of recipes this week ... thanks for hosting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great looking recipes! I am really curious about the seasoning of your rice. I have never seen it. Where do you buy it? I would love to try that recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting.