Sunday, April 10, 2011

Apple Muffins - Gluten Free --- Passover





Passover is next week and although my time is taken up with cleaning and shopping, I do find time to check the recipes, I posted last year on Comfy Cook.  I can't wait to make these again.  What a wonderful snack to have around while cooking in the kitchen. 

Apple Muffins Unlike Others You Have Had – for Passover – for Gluten Free

This is one of my favorite recipes.  In my opinion, these surpass, the apple muffins, I eat throughout the year.  The only reason, I do not make these all year, is to have them as something special for the holiday.  For those of you  who are gluten free or not, you could enjoy these, easily, twelve months of the year. 
 This is the original recipe from Tamar Ansh’s book.  It is online here with other of her recipes.  I suggest to everyone, this is a book you want, in your kitchen.  You do not have to be Jewish to make these recipes.  There is a photo of the muffins.  I will post mine but I froze one so I would have it left to take a photo, after the holidays.  It, obviously, got squished and is rather square.
I did not make changes to this recipe other than the kind of apples, I used.  I did not have green apples (I had one) so I used whatever I could find.

Apple Muffins              yields 15 – 20 muffins
4 cups green apples, peeled
and diced
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs, beaten
1/2 cup oil
2 tsp. vanilla
1 1/4 cups potato starch
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 cup white raisins, optional
1 cup chopped walnuts

Method:
Preheat oven to 325 F / 170 C . 
Mix together sugar and cinnamon and toss with apples.
Set aside. 
Beat eggs with oil and vanilla by hand in a large bowl. 
Combine dry ingredients in a separate bowl. Set aside.
Add apples to the egg mixture. 
Stir in the dry ingredients mixture by spoonfuls until well combined.
Mix in raisins and walnuts at the end.

Line muffin trays with muffin holders. Fill each cup with batter almost until the top.

 Bake 25 – 30 minutes until tester in center comes out clean and muffins are light brown on top. Muffins fall slightly after they cool down.                                                                                                        


Linked to Seasonal Saturdays 
Potluck Sunday 
Vegetarian Mondays
Melt in Your Mouth Monday,  
Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays  
Tasty Tuesdays   Tasty Tuesday Tidbits
Full Plate Thursdays 
Real Food Holidays - Passover

11 comments:

  1. I need to get some potato starch and make these!!! We are doing a lot of thing gluten free at our house testing to see if my husband has a gluten allergy, he'd love these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look so delicious Chaya! You make kosher-for-passover food look EASY to make...and absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow what a great recipe.... I have been on a apple kick lately perfect timing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A genius recipe!
    Thanks a lot for linking this to bookmark event :)
    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yum!!! Must get some potato starch and try these!

    Gentle hugs,
    .♥.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Yum! Apples raisins, nuts great combination for this wonderful muffing. Great recipe! Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you next week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. YUMMMY! Those look delicious. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look delightful! We are gluten free, so I will be giving these a try. Thanks also for the book recommendation. Thanks for saring this with the Hearth and Soul Hop.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting.