Sunday, April 24, 2011

My Meatless Mondays - April 25, 2011

Passover is 8 days long and the last two days are special days as are the first two days.  As a result, another week is going by and I just realized, I still can't highlight any recipes, from last week.  I just have to get through these days and I hope, life will return to a more normal pace.  What is this about the woman who does everything?  I am certainly not that woman and I am happy that way.

So, dear friends, I ask you for a little more patience and I will try to make it up to you with some beautiful photos from some of you who are linking up.  I am ready for new recipes after a week of not eating the five grains so please everyone, inspire me.  The truth is that each week, as I go through what you have linked up, I am inspired.  I am inspired by your creativity and the beauty of the photos and the recipes that  want to be on my table.  It is an exciting moment for me.  I now have recipes to keep me busy for years and yet, I yearn for more.  Cooking is exciting and there is always a new way to make something.

Are you the foodie who likes to go with safe recipes or do  you take risks?

Vegetable Latkes (Pancakes) for Passover
adapted  from Paula Deen

Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup potato starch
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 egg
  • 1 large potato, shredded
  • 1 cup shredded carrots (I used food processor for scallions, onions, potato, carrots and zucchini.
  • 3 scallions, chopped
  • 1 cup zucchini, shredded
  • 2 green onions, chopped
  • 1 onion, shredded
  • 2 tablespoons oil

Method:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. 

In a mixing bowl, stir together the potato starch, baking powder, salt, and pepper.

In another bowl, beat together the egg,  carrots, zucchini, scallions, potato and onions.

Add this to the dry ingredients and stir until combined.

Using a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium heat.

Pour the batter by tablespoons by first putting it into a quarter cup measure and then flipping it from there, to the hot pot. Make a few pancakes at a time. 

Cook about 2 minutes on each side and golden brown. 

Add the remaining oil to the pan as needed. 

Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.  I made mine fat so I needed the baking.  If you make them thin, you can probably only fry them.
linked to




16 comments:

  1. I love both safe recipes and risks! Good thing I get to cook so often!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will try this even though Passover is finished. Sounds good. No more Matzo and eggs for awhile. Hope you and your family had a great holiday, and keep your great recipes coming.

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another Meatless Monday! Chay, your meatless pancake sounds inviting. I would love to have some chili sauce on it..please! ha... Have a great week ahead. Enjoy everyone!
    Blessings, Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the look of those vegetable latkes - yum! Thank you for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your site... and your have some wonderful recipes I cant wait to try! Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for hosting this party each week. I struggled with whether I should add my Lemon Berry Quickbread to today's Meatless Monday or wait for Let's Do Brunch, since I actually served it on my Easter Brunch table.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for hosting Chaya! My link should say stuffed "carrots" but it just showed up as stuffed, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your latkes look scrumptious! Thank you for once again hosting. I'm linked up with a cuke salad with your button on my post. PLease stop by and link up a great post this weekend on my blog get together, if you can. Roz

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous looking latkes Chaya!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The veggie fritters sound delicious! Perfect for passover, but also for any time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These savory pancakes look great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't have a meatless recipe to share this week but feel free to share yours over at Peas & Carrots for What We're Eating Wednesday. www.navefamilyfood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. It was a pretty intense weekend. Hope you had a great Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  14. All of these links look so amazing!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting.