Sunday, March 27, 2011

My Meatless Mondays - March 28th Baked Carrots, Beans and Potatoes

Last week, I made a hearty side dish, from Paula Deen.  It was called Baked Carrots and Potatoes with Nutmeg.  I decided to add the green beans and that was a mistake.  Getting the right time to add them so they would stay crisp did not work.  The baked carrots and potatoes tasted like they were cooked in a beef stew but there was no meat in this side.  As  usual, I made changes to suit the needs of the family.


I think, most children like these two vegetables and if yours does try this.  Just the size of the vegetables makes it appealing to kids.

Baked Carrots and Potatoes (and Beans) adapted from Paula Deen - CD Kitchen

INGREDIENTS:

1 cup onion, chopped
non-stick pan spray
1/4 cup fat-free vegetable broth
4 med. carrots, cut in large julienne (like small French fries)
4 med. potatoes, cut in large julienne (peeled if desired)
salt and pepper, to taste
1/2 teaspoon grated or ground nutmeg, preferably freshly grated - to taste
1 cup nonfat milk
1 cup vegetable broth
Method:

 Spray a small frying pan with a quick burst of pan spray and saute onions over medium-low heat until translucent, stirring often and adding broth a little at a time whenever it starts seeming too dry. 

Set aside. Place half of carrots in a casserole dish that has been sprayed with pan spray. 

Top with half of potatoes and all of the onions, spreading each layer as evenly as possible. 

Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and nutmeg. 

Repeat with remaining carrots and potatoes, and sprinkle the top with salt, pepper, and nutmeg.

Warm milk enough to dissolve broth concentrate or boullion and pour over vegetables. If you have any broth or boullion left over from cooking the onions you can pour that in, too. Cover and bake at 350 degrees F., for 50-60 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed. Enjoy! 

 And we did enjoy.  We had it with chicken cutlets and a butternut squash dish and together, they made a good meal.


 
Here it is, time for another Meatless Monday.  I hope you like my potato and carrot dish.  I am sure, I will enjoy all the fine dishes you bring to the table.  I look forward to the wonderful recipes that inspire me for the rest of the week.  Thanks for sharing. 


Raspberry Mascarpone Stuffed French Toast - La Bella Vita
Salmon Patties for Picky Eaters - Real Food Forager
Savory Cheesy Herb Bread - Bright Morning Star
 Crunchy Asian Salad -  It's A keeper
Crispy Crockpot Falafel - Gluten Free A-Z blog

Now for the most popular recipe from last week, Annies Home - Cool Creamy Chocolate Dessert - YUM!  

Crust:

Link up your meatless recipes and check out the others.  We always get winners.


14 comments:

  1. sounds delicious and I am honored to have the most popular post thank you for hosting link up

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops...I'm getting tired. Just noticed I linked up the same post from last week. Please delete for me & I'll share something else. Sorry!!

    Denise @ Creative Kitchen

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Panzanella Salad would be delicious as a vegetarian meal, without the chicken. I just realized, since I posted it with the chicken, it doesn't really fit into a meatless recipe linky. Feel free to delete... and I'll link a meatless meal next time.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your baked vegetable casserole looks wonderful, Chaya - and I like the look and sound of Annie's dessert too. I've linked up a delicious salad idea. Thank you for hosting :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your site and all your wonderful inspriring recipes. Thanks for highlighting my crispy crockpot falafel from last week's link up. I'm looking forward to this week's recipes..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love your vegetable casserole. I am sharing my Turnip Casserole. Thank you for hosting and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for hosting one of my favorite weekly blog hops! And many, many thanks for featuring my Raspberry Mascarpone Stuffed French Toast. I hope you try it and enjoy it! Today I've linked up a decadent fish entree. The sauce is worth every penny (eliminate the prosciutto for a pure meat-less meal). Hope you can stop by my weekend blog get-together with a wonderful recipe post too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What wonderful recipes the participants have given us to choose from. It will be hard to pick where to start. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need to eat more meatless meals. Great ideas here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I missed you last week Chaya, I've been sick and trying to get my kids back on their homeschooling schedule. It's good to be back!

    I love Paula Deen, she is the funniest little thing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have a great week Chaya, thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much for featuring my Crunchy Asian Salad recipe! It's a huge hit in our house!

    And, thanks for hosting this linky every week! I to be inspired by all of the yummy dishes that are shared!

    Christina @ It's a Keeper
    www.everydaytastes.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have added my link to your Meatless Monday Post :) It's honor for me, that you asked.

    velva

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the invite and hosting I love these linkys~

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting.