Sunday, February 20, 2011

Lonely Sweet Potatoes - Meatless Mondays February 21, 2011

Three large sweet potatoes sat in my refrigerator, just yearning to be cooked.  Could I walk away from those two orange beauties?  Of course not.  I decided to make "sort of" a casserole.   I had no idea what kind but decided, as I went along, I would make choices.

 Lonely Sweet Potatoes

Ingredients:

3 large sweet potatoes
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1 egg
1/4 cup Rice Milk

Nutty Topping:
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup chopped pecans
2 tablespoons Canola oil
1/4 cup  almond flour   (You can use any flour including all purpose)

Method:

Bake on a cookie sheet at 400 degrees for 50 - 60 minute.  Stick a fork in the potato to see if they are soft enough to mash. 

When potatoes are warm to the touch, peel off the skin.  Mash potatoes in a large bowl.

Add brown sugar, Rice milk, and egg and mix together. Pour all ingredients into greased casserole.

Make nutty topping.  (I forgot to put in a half teaspoon of cinnamon.)
Mix all ingredients for topping. I use only enough oil to moisten.

Sprinkle  topping on the potato mixture and bake, uncovered, at 350 for 45 minutes. 

Make sure the sweet potatoes are not lonely and serve them with fish or poultry.

Dining With Debbie
This looks like the dish without the topping.  Evidently, I did not take photos.

Imagine the above with a delicious topping and you know what it should look like.


Featured Last Week


Cheese and Corn Quesadillos - simple and delicious
Pasta with Roasted Sweet Potatoes, Feta and Arugula Joanne does it again.
Banana Bread Waffles - from Deb, the creative cook
Savory French Toast - a new blog for me and I am happy to have found it.
Chipolte Mashed Sweet Potatoes

Linked to Mommy's Kitchen 
Mouthwatering Mondays
Masterpiece Mondays 
Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays 
Meatless Vegan Mondays 
Dr. Laura Tasty Tuesdays
Eat At Home 
Pennywise Platter
Prairie Story

15 comments:

  1. Great idea! Sweet potatoes can never be walked away from!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for featuring my Savory French Toast. I am truly touched.
    The lonely sweet potatoes look absolutely tasty especially with the nutty topping. Brilliant idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! I've awarded you a "Stylish Blogger Award!" I'm a fan of all your blogs. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for hosting, your sweet potatoes sound fabulous!

    -Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love sweet potatoes dear, nice recipes I added my baguette pain that I made on the beach last week! huggs gloria

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a delicious way to use sweet potatoes! Thank you for sharing this recipe, and for hosting, Chaya!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum, this looks really good. Thanks for another Meatless Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perfect recipe for National Sweet Potato Month which just happens to be in February!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi -- LOVE sweet potatoes! New follower ... :)

    foodfloozie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks super yummy. I love Sweet Potatoes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Chaya baby! Kids are off school this week so only a few minutes to link up this great raw milk paneer cheese I made from scratch! big hugs! Alex

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi,Have attached one of my vegetarian dish :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is my first time linking up to Meatless Mondays and of course, I wrote my name instead of the name of my dish - whoops! haha. It's a kale salad with grapes, cranberries and pecans - absolutely delicious!

    I'm looking forward to checking out some of the other recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm a big sweet potato fan. I have them straight up lots of times for lunch or served with turkey chili:) I'm weird that way. Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  15. we love sweet potatoes and new idea are always welcomed. thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting.