Monday, January 17, 2011

Veggie Quinoa

 Sue of Couscous and Consciousness has a relatively new group called. Make It With ...... Mondays.  This week the with is followed by quinoa, a great choice.  If you are making quinoa or have some good recipes why not

Quinoa is one of those grains that still scare many of us.  We use it with trepidation and then, we are thrilled with the results.  Of course,  you have to get past the fear and actually make the quinoa.


Actually, for me, the only issue, I have with quinoa is the rinsing.  The first time, I made it, the taste was foul and we had to throw it out.  Since then, I think, I have gone overboard with the rinsing and it has been a turn-off.  Honestly, I think this is my issue and you do not have to shy away from it.

Veggie Quinoa


Ingredients:

2 cups quinoa

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 onion, diced

1 yellow summer squash, sliced  (the one that looks like a zucchini but is yellow)

1  eggplant, chopped into small cubes


1 large onion, chopped


1 bell pepper of any color, rough chopped
 
2 cups mushrooms, trimmed, sliced

1 cup grape tomatoes, halved

1 teaspoon parsley, chopped

salt and pepper to taste

1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar

1 tablespoon olive oil, to taste


Method:

Rinse quinoa thoroughly.  Cook quinoa, as directed on package.

Heat first olive oil in a skillet and add the onion; stir until translucent. Add the remaining vegetables and stir-fry until tender.

Season with sea salt, pepper, and herbs.Add the balsamic vinegar. Stir.

Scoop the cooked quinoa out of the pot and add it into theskillet. Stir to combine with the vegetables.


Remove from heat.  Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and fluff. Serve immediately.
Acting Balanced
 

Linked to Five Dollar Dinners

 Linked to Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays

MakeItWithMondays

11 comments:

  1. This look absolutely yummy! xx gloria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chaya - you're so right, as long as you rinse or soak your quinoa thoroughly, or buy quinoa which has already been processed, it is delicious. This sounds especially delicious with all those wonderful stir-fried vegetables - like the idea of the balsamic vinegar :-)

    Thanks so much for sharing this at "Make it with ... Mondays" challenge quinoa.

    Sue xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im always looking for more quinoa recipes. So healthy with all the veggies you added!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wonderful recipe....presented welll

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that looks yummy Chaya. Quinoa, which I have yet to try, reminds of barley or couscous. since I really enjoy both of those I'm sure quinoa would be equally enjoyed. Great idea to combine with the veggies at the end. Gives control over the level of veggie softness. I hate overcooked, mushy veggies, can you tell.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't tried quinoa yet but with your awesome recipe and pictures here....I'll be eating it soon!

    Thanks for sharing with the Hearth 'n Soul hop.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks deliscious. I have not tried quinao yet either.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bought a 25 pound bag of quinoa last month because it's so lovely. I used to think that I didn't like it, but since I've learned to prepare it properly, I can't get enough. I especially like that it stays with you for a while because of the protein content. Thanks for sharing your salad with the Hearth and Soul hop.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so happy that you could bring your Veggie Quinoa it looks delicious. I just love Quinoa and look forward to trying this dish. Thank you so much for coming to Full Plate Thursday and please come back!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have only recently discovered quinoa and have recently discovered I LOVE quinoa. It is so different and so healthy and so adaptable to so many different ingredients. This one is on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such a healthy recipe.. Looks good too. Thanks for sharing. http://bhalokhabo.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting.