Friday, September 10, 2010

Vegetable Potato Kugel Susie Fishbein



This is the latest kugel and you can see the carrots.
  I was planning on making a potato kugel but when I noted the vegetable potato kugel, I thought it would retain the flavor of the potato kugel  with some additional flavor.  There is something, I have wanted to try with potato kugel and never got so I made a major change in this recipe, which I will point out.  If this does not work, blame me, not Susie.  Reading her recipe, nothing could go wrong, if following directions.  I am not doing that.

Ingredients:

1/2 cup Canola oil
5 large potatoes
1 medium onion, quartered
1 medium onion, chopped
4 scallions, chopped
2 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
1 zucchini, cut into chunks
salt and pepper to taste
5 eggs, beaten
(I left out matzah meal and sugar.)

Preheat oven to 500 degrees.  Susie says 400 degrees.
Place 1/4 cup of the oil in a 9 x 13 baking pan.  Set aside.
The remaining oil goes into a medium skillet and the chopped onions and scallions get cooked in this oil for about 6 minutes.  It does not have to brown but it should be translucent.

Fill a large bowl with cold water.  Peel potatoes, cut in quarters and place in bowl..  Let stand, while  you do the other potatoes.

Place other onion and carrots in food processor and shred.  (I believe, Susie uses the sharp edged attachment.)  We have a controversy in our house as to who wants shredded potatoes and who wants the smaller pieces which mix together.  Shredded won.

Add potato to food processor, followed by zucchini.

Add cooked onions and scallions to food processor.

Place mixture in a bowl and combine all ingredients together so there is a color consistency.  There should be flecks of green and orange.

Add salt and pepper to mixture.  Mix in.  Stir in eggs.

Place baking dish with oil in hot oven.  When oil sizzles, remove and spoon some of the oil into the potato mixture, mixing well.  (This will help make the kugel fluffy.)

Pour potatoes in bake and bake uncovered for 45 minutes.  Bake at 500 degrees for ten minutes and then bake at 425 degrees for the remaining time.

The outside should be crispy and the inside, white and soft.


Notes:

When you heat oil, cover it, with a piece of aluminum foil so you do not get hurt.  Removing it, is dangerous if the oil is sputtering.

Susie did not fry up the scallions and onions so that part is different.

I also bake mine at a high temperature.  I believe the book calls for 400 degrees, the entire time.



This is another Vegetable Potato Kugel.

Enjoy.  I have to take the kugel, out of the oven for a photo.  I may not have time to do this before the Jewish holidays begin.  If that  is the case and I do get a photo, I will do this, later.



Wishing all our Jewish bloggers a sweet and happy year.  May you have all that you need.

Linked to these great sites - Meal Planning Mondays   Homemaker Mondays    Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays
$5 Dinner Challenge    We Are that Family

Tuesday Night Supper ClubAll Thingz Related








http://grocerycartchallenge.blogspot.com/"> border="0" src="http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3319/3503777676_a190bb6c20_m.jpg%22/%3E%3C/a%3E%3C/center>Photobucket  












Linked to Tasty Traditions

16 comments:

  1. Looks and sounds fantastic! Does it come with a dishwashing fairy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. To show you how stupid I am, my first thought when I saw the title was "What's a fishbein". I didn't realize that was her name!! tee-hee

    I'll bet this is good, love zucchini and onion! I'm not Jewish but you can still wish me a good year! Just kidding!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, I wanted to see the final product. Sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I may not be Jewish but I have to say, I do LOVE kugel. This looks delicious! Love all the veggies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. More Susie Fisbein recipe!!! But who going to do the dishes later on? haha... Of coz, you la! Hope you're enjoying your weekend, dear.
    Cheers, Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a nice gluten-free potato kugel.

    So the high temperature was to help quickly get rid of the extra moisture from the zucchini and potatoes, or just for the fluffiness? I guess that's the risk leaving out the matzo meal.

    I do remember my mom shredding and then pressing/drying potatoes and salting zucchini to get rid of some of the water in advance. However, she makes her kugel at a much lower temperature and it turns out very, very dense.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gosh this sounds good. I love all the ingredients in it. Will have to try this one. YUM

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for linking up to my party! I am a lover of new recipes and this looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was kind of looking forward to seeing the rest of your menu for the week, but this kugel recipe sure looks good. Here from MPM...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for linking up to my party too! This looks amazing! And I am there with Debbie, I was like "What is a Fishbein?" Ayy!! :) Angie

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks great! I don't think I've ever had a vegetable kugel before which is a little surprising after all the holiday gatherings I've been to! I'll have to try this one day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. my mouth is watering..this looks incredible...and who doesn't love a good potato dish?! thank you for linking up to TNSC--hope you had a nice holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great recipe. Thanks for linking up today. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for sharing it with us! Have a Yummy Weekend!!!

    From the author of Food Trip Friday

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks like a crowd pleaser and a great way to get some zucchini in my kids' stomaches without them complaining about it. Thanks for adding the link to Midnight Maniac Meatless Mondays!

    ♥ Rebecca Jean
    Midnight Maniac

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow, very interesting. I do love potato kugel, and this one seems to be even better.
    I need sour cream to it!
    Dalia (Septyni virtieniai) - I was not able to select profile from the list :(

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting.