Sunday, September 5, 2010

Meatless Mondays September 6, 2010

I found from this recipe, I only like eggplant crisp or breaded, not as much in a casserole.  I loved the tomatoes, in the recipe though, and they made up for what I considered a lacking in the eggplant.

Eggplant and Tomato Casserole   ever so slightly adapted





Ingredients


1 medium eggplant, sliced into 1/4 inch rounds

salt to taste

3 tablespoons olive oil

1 small onion, halved and sliced

4 medium tomatoes, sliced

1/4 cup balsamic vinegar

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 cup dry bread crumbs for topping

salt and pepper to taste

Directions

1.Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Season the eggplant slices with salt, and let stand for about 10 minutes. Drain off liquid.

2.Heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Quickly brown the eggplant slices on each side.

3.Place a layer of the eggplant slices in an 8 inch square baking dish or casserole dish. Place some tomato slices over the eggplant, and then a few slices of onion. Repeat layers until you run out of eggplant. Pour balsamic vinegar over everything. In a small bowl, stir together the bread crumbs and remaining olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Spread in a layer over the vegetables.

4.Bake for 25 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until the top is golden brown and the eggplant is tender.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
  Here we are, thinking about Meatless Mondays.  I thank all of you who have participated and the many of you who come back week after week with recipes worthy of kings.  OK, I am getting a bit silly.  They are all worthy of us, the foodies, in this world, who can discriminate between good and best.

I enjoy looking through these, each week, and more so, I want to make them.  It is because of you that I have discovered that meatless meals are versatile and delicious.

Link up your delicious dish for this week and everyone check out those that interest you and eat hearty.  It is wonderful, when we support each other, with our comments.   
 
 
Linked to Two for Tuesdays     Tuesday Twister   Real Food Wednesdays

23 comments:

  1. Oh I love eggplant and tomatoe together this will be a must try for me this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a newbie to your blog and the recipes look great.

    But, it takes foreverrrrr to load, I think because of the many images on the right handside column.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for reminding me to link up! I love this eggplant and tomato casserole...with my current eggplant obsession, it's just the thing I would love!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm, your recipe this week looks delish! Yay for summertime goodness. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Usually I'm not too big on eggplant in casseroles either, but I'm definitely taking your recommendation on this one. With the tomatoes, it looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm just getting to appreciate eggplant! This looks great! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds great. I love a good balsamic vinegar. I just made an eggplant lasagna tonight for some guests. I wonder how your method of frying the eggplant in advance would change the flavour? Or maybe breading and frying the eggplant with ricotta stuffed in between the slices... hey, this is giving me some ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love tomatoes and onion and I'm always looking for new things to make with eggplant so your recipe is perfect for me! Thank you for sharing it and for hosting another great My Meatless Monday recipe exchange.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been making eggplant a lot lately and never tire of it. This recipe looks fantastic. As always thanks for hosting. I am linking up with Herbed Summer Green Beans.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wonder if you'd like it more with zucchini instead of eggplant? Usually when I see a recipe like this, that is what I end up doing since my husband wouldn't touch eggplant with a 4-foot pole!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mmmmmmm.....Now I am craving eggplant!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like a great menu for the week, have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad I could participate finally! I love meatless mondays!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I apologize that this is late to the party and that it isn't a meal, but it's pretty good and healthy so I thought I would include it. Thanks Chaya!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I enjoy Eggplant breaded and crispy too. Recently I had it in a stir fry and it was so delicous.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Chaya and thanks for linking to the two for tuesday recipe blog hop. Was traveling this week and need to catch up, so wont be linking, but will return next week! I too only like eggplant in a crispy crust, but would try this cause of the tomatoes as you said! Blessings for the holidays! Alex@amoderatelife

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have tried several times to add a recipe of mine but it keeps re-routing me to A Moderate Life's blog when I click to submit. :(

    ReplyDelete
  18. Here's the recipe I was trying to link. Thanks!!! http://ezsrecipes.com/2010/03/09/butternut-squash-and-orzo-with-fresh-sage/

    ReplyDelete
  19. Okay, my friend, I will definitely save it for another week! Thanks for trying!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hmm, now see, I just love eggplant, the texture of it, that slightly apple-y taste. So I'd chose to make this recipe just for the eggplant in it. Thanks for linking with Two for Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Well I know I love both tomatoes and eggplant together in any dish so I know this would be a winner! Thanks for linking to Two for Tues!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Chaya! Happy new year! I just wanted to let you know that I will be sharing one of your blog roll members on my Rollin' With my Bloggies section of thoughts on friday at a moderatelife. Come on over and see who it is! :) Alex@amoderatelife

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting.