Monday, September 13, 2010

Apple Kugel Roses Susie Fishbein

I haven't made these in a long time.  When I saw the recipe in Kosher by Design, I knew it would be perfect for Rosh HaShana.  Of course, you can make a large apple kugel and I probably will for the holiday of Sukkot.  There is something about the muffins that is endearing.  I love portioning them out, each person, getting his/her own.  This year, I made them in the shape of roses and they are delicate and pretty and great to eat.

I am sending this in to the collection of recipes that make up the results of Sweet or Savory Kitchen Challenge, organized by Ricki of Diet, Dessert and Dogs and  Kim of Affairs of Living.  This is a true challenge, a very exciting one and I think, we come away learning how to cook for our friends who are limited, in what they eat.  Take a look and perhaps, you have a recipe that fits the bill.

Apple Kugel Roses

Ingredients:


 Ener-G Egg Replacer equivalent of three eggs
1/2 cup canola oil

3/4 cup agave

1 tsp cinnamon

1 tsp almond extract

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

1 cup gluten-free flour   
1/2 tsp baking powder

3 baking apples - peeled and cut into small pieces

1/4 cup chopped almonds or walnuts – I used walnuts  (I skipped these for Rosh HaShana but will include them for Sukkot.)

Method:

Preheat oven 350. Grease 12 muffin tins or used liners, greased.  I used my rose shaped minis.

In large bowl, mix egg substitute, oil, agave, cinnamon, almond extract, gluten-free flour,and baking powder until smooth. Do not overmix.

Place a small mound of apples into each muffin tin.

Bottom of rose where the apples landed.
Spoon batter into each tin to cover apples.

Bake 20-30 minutes.




Linked to these Top Notch Sites:   Hearth and Soul         Delicious Dishes   What's on the Menu Wed.?

20 comments:

  1. Mmm warm apple muffins! You have my attention. I love your muffin pan, I have never seen those before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo.. I love your cake mould! So beautiful! And your kugel looks as wonderful. Thanks alot for sharing.
    Cheers, kristy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delicious and the little rose muffins are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look so pretty! I'm sure they taste every bit as good as they look. That combo of spices with the apples simply has to be wonderful. I also must tell you how much I appreciated the recipes that appeared in the post below. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Om my goodness, those look so good! So glad you found my blog so I could find yours! I just added your Meatless Mondays button to the link party page. Can't wait to see what other recipes you've got!

    ~ The Speckled Dog

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just "have" to get this rose mold muffin pan! How adorable! and the apple kugel muffins, warm out of the oven . . . (sigh) I can just smell the wonderful aroma! I really like how the recipe has both almond and vanilla extract too.

    You are a teacher? I have all the respect in the world for teachers and have no idea how you could do all the baking you do plus your work. Thank you for stopping by =), Shandy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the concept - definitely on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look beautiful! This is a must try after seeing those chunks of apples in the muffins. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look fabulous too! Loving all your Jewish holiday recipes! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love anything with apples in it and your beautiful rose apple kugels look amazing. Thanks so much for linking this to the hearthn'soul hop!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for linking up with Hearth and Soul. These are just beautiful, such a sweet little treat :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Chaya! These are so beautiful and I am sure they taste just as good! I am laughing though because I was trying to figure out how you made them into roses and then I saw you had the special pan. I adore traditional holiday fare and its nice when you can make it even more special doing something like this! Happy new year and thanks for sharing on the hearth and soul hop! :) Alex@amoderatelife

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, I know what I'll be trying soon. These look incredible, I love the flavor combinations. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are so beautiful Chaya! I bet everyone loved eating them and felt bad at the same time for destroying something so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  15. How fabulous, Chaya. I am just loving learning about all of the different ways of making kugel! I love the look of these and really want to try one! Thanks so much for sharing it w/ the hearth 'n soul hop this week =)

    ReplyDelete
  16. How cute! I need one of those pans that makes such pretty results!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks delicious, thanks for your second SOS Contribution this month! These are absolutely ADORABLE, I bet everyone you served them to just giggled with delight! One thing though, can you provide a substitute for the eggs that is vegan? The SOS Challenge is for vegan, sugar free, natural foods recipes, and we want to make sure that recipes that are included in the challenge fit those restrictions. Also, is there any change needed to the other ingredients if agave is substituted for sugar? Thanks so much, and thanks again for participating! xoxo Kim | http://www.affairsofliving.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful! These would be such a lovely dessert to serve, and so pretty! Thanks so much for submitting this recipe to the SOS Challenge this month (and your other one, too!) :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting.