Sunday, August 15, 2010

My Meatless Mondays - Smashed Spiced Sweet Potatoes - Eating Well

I love My Meatless Mondays because we get the best recipes.  I could happily eat from these recipes, for months.  They are creative, tasty looking, healthy and I am sure, delicious.  Join us and share a meatless recipe of yours and check out the recipes that are coming in.

Today is the last day using, Eating Well, as my main source for recipes and it is appropriate to use this interesting recipe as my contribution from it.

Why interesting?  I can't figure out why the sweet potatoes had to be sliced and them mashed other than to call it smashed, which it really was not.  Despite my disagreement with Eating Well over technicalities, this was a really good side dish.  We finished it up quickly, wishing there was more.  It has the heat and the sweet which gives it the spiced part of the title.  Spiced, I understand - just not smashed.

Smashed Spiced Sweet Potatoes        adapted from EatingWell: October/November 2005 —

2 pounds sweet potatoes, (2 - 3 large)

1 tablespoons butter

1 - 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup

1/2 teaspoon chili powder

2 teaspoons cumin seeds, toasted and ground  (I used 1/4 teaspoon dried cumin.)

1/2 teaspoon ground ginger

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper


Method:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Pierce each sweet potato in several places with a fork. Place directly on the oven rack and roast until soft, 45 minutes to 1 hour.

Transfer to a cutting board; let stand until cool enough to handle, about 10 minutes. Slip off the skins and cut the sweet potatoes into 1-inch slices; transfer to a large bowl.

Add butter. Smash the sweet potatoes with a potato masher or fork until fluffy but some lumps remain. (This is where I got confused.  They were really slightly lumpy sweet potatoes and frankly, I would have liked them better either cubed or completely mashed.

Add maple syrup, chili powder, ground cumin, ginger, salt and pepper; stir to combine.

I recommend this but I would choose a way to make it other than smashed.  I guess smashed is just more in, in terms of foodie language.
Linked to Potluck Sunday     Monday Mania    Menu Plan Monday    Homemaker Monday   Real Food Wednesdays

15 comments:

  1. These look delicious. I am participating on Meatless Monday for the first time. Can't wait to see what everyone else posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE sweet potatoes!! These look excellent, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks yum and healthy too! Happy week ahead of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love sweet potatoes, and the spices you have used in yours sound really delicious! Thanks for hosting My Meatless Monday, Chaya.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet potatoes are one of my favorite things in the world...these sound very tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This works for me! They look delicious and sweet potatoes are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you don't mind, I submitted two recent recipes this week! I love sweet potatoes, but I cannot cook them because my husband cannot stand them - which makes me sad! Sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just wanted to come back and thank you for your wonderful reception. And I will definitely be back for this party!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just made this. Very yummy! I have several of your recipes marked to try but I seem to be missing at least one ingredient for all of them but when I saw this one today and realized I had everything on hand I decided to make it for tonights dinner. I love, love, love sweet potatoes and always looking for the more savory recipes for them. Now I have a new one to add to my collection. I have submitted a dessert recipe this week - Ricotta Almond Dessert. Thanks for hosting. Carol

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love sweet potatoes served in any way. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This has turned into a big event Chaya! Your sweet potatoes sound good - love them with the spices - especially the ginger and chile.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh yum! Can't wait to try this with sweet potatoes from the farmer's market! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Chaya! Sorry I am late, but you know me! ;) I love yummy sweet potatoes done like that, sweet and savory, but not tooo sweet! My recipe this week is for wild foraged rose hip syrup. We are starting a challenge in the near future on foraging and herbs for food and remedies so I figured I better get some practice! This is high in vitamin C, delicious and a good pain reliever! Thanks for sharing your space with us! :) HUGS! Alex@amoderatelife

    ReplyDelete
  14. hi there added my rice dish love sweet potatoes Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks so much for visiting Monday Mania to post your smashed sweet potato recipe! Sweet potatoes are a fav at my house - always looking for another variation!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting.