Sunday, August 1, 2010

Meatless Mondays - August 2nd

Looking in my hydrator, I found one of this root vegetable and two of these and sundry others.  What to do with those root vegetables.  Some of them are not my favorites.

I turned to Ina, Back to Basics, to see if she had an answer to my question and sure enough, there was roasted root vegetables.  She had both pan roasted and oven roasted and I opted for the pan roasted.

I had most of the vegetables, listed, but I think this recipe would work with any of the root vegetables.  I added some Worcestershire sauce to this recipe because it looked bland but I did not add enough.  Balsamic vinegar would be a good choice to add, rather than the Worcestershire sauce.

Pan Roasted Root Vegetables

canola oil
1 white turnip, chunked
 carrots, sliced one half inch in size
2 small or one large parsnip, sliced
8 Brussels sprouts, halved
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
dash of black pepper
2 celery ribs, one inch sliced

Method:

Pour a 2 - 3 tablespoons of oil in a large saute pan with fitted cover.
When oil heats up, add carrots, turnip, parsnip, Brussels sprouts, thyme, salt and pepper.  Toss with oil.
Cover pan with tight fitting lid and cook over low heat for ten minutes.
Add the celery and stir the vegetables.
Cover again and cook for another five minutes.
If you find the vegetables are too dry, add a little water.
You are ready to eat.



Linked to Homemaker Mondays, Its so Creative Mondays, Flashback Fridays, Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays
Two for Tuesdays, Delicious Dishes , Tuesday Twister

19 comments:

  1. OH...we love roasted vegetables! And it does not matter how much I make we eat the entire pan. I keep thinking I am making too much but before I know the pan is empty.

    Gorgeous photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love veggies, you're right, balsamic vinegar would be good. Or red wine vinegar, I love that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love roasted veggies. I wouldn't have thought to add brussel sprouts but I can bet they taste really nice with the other veggies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic, Chaya!! Loving all the changes you're making to your blog, and your photos are getting better and better!! YAHOO!! :-) I'll be back tomorrow to add my link. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the new look of your blog :-) I like the look of your pan roasted veggies too. Thanks for hosting My Meatless Mondays!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Way to go with the new blog background and all. It looks great and so does your veggie dish!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Chaya baby! Happy monday and thanks for sharing your space with all of us! My article is an oldie but goodie all about making Kombucha fermented tea at home. Right now its hard to get store kombucha due to government issues, but making your own is way cheaper and better for you! Your pan vegetables look so delicious, but I wonder why not use Butter or ghee instead of the canola oil? They would crisp much better and you need saturated fat to absorb all those good vitamins and minerals. Is it a cooking rules thing? Hugs! Alex

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks delicious! I love the new vamped up web page. I thought I went to the wrong site for a second. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a varied mix of vegetables you used for this Chaya. A delicious way to clean out the refrigerator! Love your new look - like shining stars.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great mix of veggies - this sounds so tasty. Thanks for linking to Two for Tuesdays! I also linked a tabasco sauce to yours - a fabulous condiment.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You've hit a nerve with me; roasted root veg are one of my all-time favorite treats! You've made my tummy growl. Thanks for linking up with Two for Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How funny I made the same thing on Sunday. Great minds think alike.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yummy again Chaya baby! Thanks for sharing this on the two for tuesday recipe blog hop! :) Alex@amoderatelife

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really need to try using turnips more. This sounds like a great way.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nothing like the sweet, earthiness brought out by roasting veggies! Delish...thanks for sharing this with Two for Tuesdays this week =)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Roasted root vegetables are one of my favorite things and a staple in my house during the winter. Thanks so much for sharing this with all of us at Two for Tuesdays!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I could eat veggies like this straight from the pan. LOVE them! Thanks for participating in Flashback Friday last week and sorry it took me so long to come see what you blogged about. Its been a long week and I"m glad its Friday again!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds great!
    Thanks for linking up!
    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting.