Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Oatmeal-Less Breakfast Bread TWD

I really love my baking with Tuesdays with Dorie and Sweet Melissa Sundays.  I have been stretched, in my baking, and have made delicious items, I would have run from, a year ago.  Dorie's book is my best friend.  I keep it with me, in the kitchen, and read it with lunch or bake from it, as a whim.

Natalie of Oven Love selected Oatmeal Breakfast Bread on page 44 of Baking From My Home to Yours. for this week's pick for Tuesdays with Dorie.  This is another week, I was going to skip the recipe because I don't have gluten-free oatmeal.

I made the decision that I have grown up enough to get around these problems and jumped right into the recipes.  I used half chopped almonds (small pieces) and half additional flour to make up for the missing oatmeal.  It came out, just right, despite this change.  I am not sure how different the texture and flavor is but regardless, it has a wonderful taste and my husband has eaten most of it, already.  Of course, I used a brown rice mixture, I make in place of the all purpose flour.


Thanks, Natalie, for making me stretch myself to try something new and so good.  Natalie has the recipe on her blog.  You can find  the other bloggers who have made this recipe, listed here with the URLs to their oatmeal breads.  Take a peek and see what our creative bakers have done to make a great recipes a little bit different.




15 comments:

  1. Using the almonds was very creative. I bet the bread tasted great. It certainly looks just like the oatmeal verson.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Almonds instead of oatmeal sounds like a great substitution. The texture looks quite moist. Looks like your rose to the challenge on the gluten-free issue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job!! It looks fantastic, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. great substitutions! thank you so much for getting out of your comfort zone with this one and baking with me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know you're becoming an experienced baker when you just substitute on a whim! Looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Almonds sounds like a great substitution - way to think on the fly! I'm not so good at that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks fantastic. Shoot! Now I'm hungry again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the substitution of almonds for oatmeal--I bet it was a great texture. No wonder your husband has eaten most of it!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Way to go! I love the chopped almonds and would never have thought of adding more flour if deleting oatmeal. Love all your pictures too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, kudos to being kitchen savvy and making that substitution! I bet it was delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks and sounds great with almonds instead of oatmeal. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are so creative! I like the sounds of this better than the original recipe.
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm impressed by how you just rolled with it and got a good bread in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great job! Almonds sound like a great choice and it looks tasty.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting.