Sunday, August 22, 2010

My Meatless Mondays - Roasted Butternut Squash and Apple

I think, I once mentioned, I keep a butternut squash or an acorn squash in the refrigerator without any specific plans as how to use it.  It is wonderful because there are always ways to make squash that are interesting and good to eat.  Alanna of Kitchen Parade has this wonderful recipe for squash and the ingredients sold me, immediately.

**This is a great dish for the cooler weather in the autumn and for the Thanksgiving table.  Try adding some pear chunks also, to make it even better.  I am a believer in adding nuts.  If, I make this again, which I plan to do, I think I would add some walnuts or pecans, chopped and toasted.

Roasted Butternut Squash and Apples             adapted


Ingredients:

1 butternut squash, about 1 pound, washed well  (This was a small squash and might have been less than one pound.)

1 tablespoon margarine, melted

1 teaspoon curry powder

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1 teaspoon kosher salt

Black pepper to taste

.......................................

2 apples, cored, chopped into half-inch pieces

2 tablespoons maple syrup

1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar (Balsamic vinegar turns any dish into a success.)
Set oven to 375F. Place a glass or ceramic baking dish in the oven to preheat.

Method:
Place the squash in the microwave for 3 minutes to soften.   (I, almost always first microwave squash, particularly acorn and butternut and sometimes, I end up cooking it completely, in the microwave, to save time.  In this case softening it, makes it easier to work with.)

Remove the skin, seeds and membrane, then cut into half-inch cubes.

In a large bowl, toss the squash with margarine, salt, pepper and seasonings, coating the cubes well.

Transfer to baking dish. Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes.


Combine apples, maple syrup and balsamic vinegar.

Arrange apples over the squash. Re-cover with foil, bake for another 10 minutes.


Uncover the dish, stir and bake for about another 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes, until the squash is fully cooked and the liquid is absorbed.

Taste and adjust the seasoning.

Eat and enjoy.

Linked to Homemaker Mondays       Menu Plan Monday     Wholesome Food     Monday Mania

Southern Fairy Tale     Hey, What's for Dinner?        Tuesday Twister     Pennywise Platter Thursdays

13 comments:

  1. I've made a squash and apple bake and it's a delicious combination!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so yummy!!! I have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can tell, it's yummy! Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Chaya and thanks for hosting the meatless monday linky! My my, apples and butternut squash are a great taste combo! Reminds me of lovely fall and winter food and even thanksgiving! My recipe this week is very summery and sweet. Broiled grapefruit ala mark bittman! :) Hugs! Alex@amoderatelife

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds scrumptious, Chaya. I love the tip about microwaving the squash a bit before you prepare it - what a great idea! Thanks for hosting!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This makes me think of fall...which makes me so excited! YUM! Linked up some snackin' food today =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with girlchef, reminds me of Fall! I love fall! This looks delicious, I love the mix of butternut squash and apple.

    Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love having squash around also. I could eat it every day and be so very happy. Love this preparation!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love roasted butternut squash. Never made it with apples though but I know I will now. I am linking up with a Chiles Rellenos Casserole. Thanks for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks like it could be a scrumptious dessert or side dish! Great idea and thank you for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum! That sounds delicious!
    suchakingdom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like a great dish. Thanks for the heads up on the blog carnival. I'll keep participating when I can.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the sound of this Chaya! Apples and squash are a delicious combo!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting.