Sunday, August 8, 2010

My Meatless Mondays -- -- Brown Rice Salad

I am in cleaning up mode and I am busy sorting and throwing out and more throwing out.  This, is in preparation, for the new school year.  In the Fall, I run off tons of sheets, for my new fifth grade, and that gets me started for quite a while.  Of course, I continually make new sheets, as I need them.  These, that I start the year with are what I generally do, as an introduction to the major subjects.

What a pleasure to be able to pull out a folder, labeled, "Scientific Method" and have all my worksheets and information, in one place.  I simply, take that folder to school, with me, and I am ready to go.

What does this have to do with cooking and recipes?  In my piles of neatly organized school subjects, I found a folder of recipes, ones that I have not made, in ages.  One of these is a brown rice salad that we used to have, quite often.  

Somehow, this sheet silently got itself into the folder that sneaked into my school papers.  How do these pesty recipes take on a life of their own?  Who cares?  I am now sitting with some of my golden oldie recipes and I plan to make some of them.  I did make this brown rice salad and it is as good as I remembered.

Brown Rice Salad

Ingredients: 

Combine the following.

3 cups cooked brown rice
1/2 cup raisins or cranberries
1 onion
1 red pepper
1 carrot

Dressing - Mix all ingredients together and pour over rice.  Let sit for at least, an hour, before serving.

1/2 cup orange juice
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon sesame oil
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon ginger

Mix dressing ingredients together.

Linked to Menu Plan Monday -- Potluck Sundays    Simple Lives Thursdays   Monday Mania  Tuesday Twister   Tuesdays at the Table  Works for me Wednesday  Vegetarian Foodie Fridays



17 comments:

  1. This rice salad looks delicious!1 My recipes tend to do that as well! I have been trying to get organized for school as well. I homeschool my 3 and am wanting to get more organized. I need an extra day every week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your salad sounds lovely, and so nutritious too! Thanks for hosting My Meatless Mondays.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Chaya baby! I didn't have a vegetarian recipe to link up this week, so i thought i would link up a recipe for the cleaning products I use in the home that are all home made! :) Hugs girl and thanks for sharing your space with us~! have a Great day and that rice salad looks awesome! Alex@amoderatelife

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Meatless Monday! Thanks for letting me participate. These are some great looking meals!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear I add my dish, see is Ok, any problem tell me.
    I love your recipe. x gloria

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chaya...how many times did I find some recipe in a novel I was reading while thinking of what was going to be made that supper and to later not know where I had misplaced it. Therefore, I truly related to this type of clean up you did ;o)

    A great rice dish is certainly a good option for meatless Mondays. I will take a try at adding one dried fruit at the time in order for my palate to slowly get accustomed.
    P.S. I did get your very thoughtful email...thanks ;o)

    Ciao for now and flavourful wishes,
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not seeing how to link up, so here is my link to Stoplight Salad http://thelocalcook.com/2010/08/07/stoplight-salad/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brown rice is a favorite of mine. I like its nutty taste. I'll put this on the list to try.
    Thanks for stopping by my blog --sorry you had trouble leaving a comment.

    by the way - I love your blog name -- sweet and savory really says it all about life, cooking and so much more

    ReplyDelete
  9. Go ahead and link my salad and ravioli to your page. I still haven't learned how to do it yet, I need my teacher here!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This recipe is perfect for your blog: sweet and savory. It sounds delicious. I love rice with fruit in it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love that dish Chaya. Gotta try it :)
    I keep forgetting about the meatless Monday. We had fish last night...does that count? But it didn't turn out 100% to my liking so I wouldn't submit anyway.

    I plan on doing the Ellie recipe (Sloppy Joes) vegetarian this week. Saves me from cooking two meals :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow- this sounds REALLY delicious. and with all these fresh veggies we have, i can use some up! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Chaya! Thanks so much for asking for my Zucchini Fritters Recipe! I just linked it up! I have lots of Vegetarian recipes in my app that I will be adding to my blog, so I will add them here on Monday's as well!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yum, looks easy and delicious! Thanks for the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Brown rice does make an excellent salad!


    Thanks for linking up to Just Another Meatless Monday-can't wait to see what you bring to the table next week!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have moved my recipe (and the rest of my site) to WordPress, and now that I have a WordPress account I can comment to tell you how much I love the Brown Rice Salad!!! I made it several times last summer and just bought some more brown rice planning to make it again soon!

    Recipe #21 above is now here: Pasta Salad.
    ---'Becca

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting.