Sunday, August 29, 2010

Bittman's Barbecue Sauce

I have no idea if Mr. Bittman planned this for barbecue sauce but we used it, for that, and it was such a success, we wanted more to put on different food.  This month the theme for Go Ahead Honey It’s Gluten Free is Barbecue Bash, selected by Chandice of Gluten Free Frenzy.  I thought a good barbecue sauce was just the thing to share.

This group was started by Naomi of Straight into Bed, Carefree and Dried.  Each month, a theme is chosen, and those who participate, cook to this theme.  Thanks to Naomi and Chandice.

Mark Bittman’s Tomato-Onion Salsa Recipe


“This is a very easy mild salsa recipe from Mark Bittman’s excellent cookbook, “How to Cook Everything”. This simple recipe is good as is but is also well suited to adding it whatever flavours you enjoy. (You can add some chopped cilantro, lime juice instead of lemon, corn kernels, chili peppers, etc…) Makes about 2 cups.” Recipezaar
Ingredients:

1 medium onion, peeled

2 medium tomatoes, cored, peeled and seeded

1 teaspoon paprika or 1/4-1/2 teaspoon cayenne

1 garlic clove, peeled

1 tablespoon any good vinegar, plus more to taste (I used rice vinegar with oregano and basil)

1 teaspoon salt (to taste)

1 teaspoon sugar

1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (to taste)

Method:

Quarter the onion and tomatoes and whiz them in a food processor or blender with all the other ingredients except the lemon juice.

Taste and add more salt and paprika or cayenne if needed along with the lemon juice or vinegar to taste. Serve or refrigerate for up to a day or two before serving.

Since, I don’t have garlic in the house, I added some garlic powder, not nearly enough for the preference of most people who will be at the table.

I also used hot paprika which has a nice bite to it but not overly so.

I was too lazy to skin and seed the tomatoes although I did knock off the seeds that I got to, easily. This was done at 2, in the morning.

I completely forgot the lemon juice. I think, I would rather add some more vinegar, in the morning rather than the lemon juice.

It tastes just right, hotter than we usually have, but not burning heat.

It made the burger real tasty. It would be good on French Fries also.  Actually, I think, you could use this on any food to give it some real flavor.


.



*I was able to fit two large cut up tomatoes and one medium size onion into my mini processor with the vinegar and seasonings



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and commenting.