Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Vegetable Lovers' Fried Rice

When, we first found out about my husband's diagnosis of celiac, we ate tons of rice because, I did not know what else to do.  As time went by, I learned, slowly but surely and we expanded to potatoes and corn and a terrible cake mix.  I learned more and more and wanted to be brave and enter that vast gluten free world of cookies, cake, muffins and bread.

At first, the roads were muddy and I slipped many times.  My husband was a good sport and oohed and ahed over my travesties.  He was patient and loving and I was a mess.  As someone who enjoys baking, I felt cheated.  I wanted to bake like the olden days.

A number of years back, the gluten free arena starting making available all kinds of flours, rice, soy, millet and at least a dozen or so, more.  Cookbooks started to flow and I learned how to make all those wonderful baked goods.  I also learned what to use with my basic vegetable or meat recipes where I needed to thicken a gravy.  We take for granted so much until we make such adjustments.

Now, I love gluten-free cooking and baking.  I don't think twice about it and I cook almost everything that others do. Life  has been restored to "almost normal."

If  you ever want to see the fabulous creations of gluten free cooks, visit the gluten free blogs.  Hop over to Comfy Cook where I have some listed.  Take a tour and you will find a range of dishes just like you make.

Vegetable Lovers' Fried Rice   -  Adapted

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups uncooked Basmati rice  (follow directions on package to cook)

2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided

1/3 cup chopped onion

5 eggs, beaten

1/4 cup soy sauce, divided

2 stalks celery, thinly sliced (I was out of celery,)

4 ounces mushrooms, sliced

1 green bell pepper, chopped

2 carrots, shredded

3 green onions, sliced

Method:

1. Place rice and water in a medium saucepan, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 20 minutes, or until rice is tender. Transfer to a medium container, and place in the refrigerator 1 hour, or until chilled. (Follow your own directions.)

2. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Stir in the onion, and cook until tender.

3. In a medium bowl, blend eggs and 1 tablespoon soy sauce. Stir into the medium skillet, and cook until no longer runny. Remove onion, garlic, and eggs from heat, and set aside. Chop any large egg chunks into small pieces.

4. Heat the remaining oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium heat. Stir in the mushrooms, carrots and celery. Cook until tender but firm. Stir carrots in rice. Season with remaining soy sauce. Cook and stir 5 minutes, or until rice is heated through. Mix in the onion and eggs.

It's a Blog Party

Side Dish Showdown Blogger EventI like all the vegetables, you can add to this.  Use you imagination and fly.  Don't be limited to the veggies, mentioned here.

5 comments:

  1. I just love fried rice - thanks for sharing this variation!

    Would love it if you would consider sharing this at Monday Mania blog carnival at The Healthy Home Economist. Recipes, green tips, personal stories, book reviews, vlogs etc are all welcome – an eclectic mix of awesome blog posts! Hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo, this looks good. You've inspired me to make a veggie fried rice with all the different things I got in my CSA box this week. Can't wait! :)

    ~Aubree Cherie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love fried rice too. For some reason I've never added carrots. I'll do that next time. Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks really good.
    I will have to try that sometime.
    http://www.lisasglutenfree.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting.