Sunday, July 25, 2010

My Meatless Mondays - June 26th - It Looks Like a Burger......

Welcome back to My Meatless Mondays.  I look forward to this posting, each week.  You link up the best recipes.  People who are cutting back or have given up beat can leave here with two weeks of food, and it is good food.

It Looks Like a Burger - Basmati Burgers

Basmati Burgers
 

2 1/2 cups (or more) vegetable broth

1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

1 medium onion, chopped

1 cup mushrooms, chopped

2 cups rice with vegetables

1 cup basmati rice with veggies

1/3 cup finely ground walnuts

salt and pepper to taste

a mega dose of onion powder - I sprinkled a lot into it but I have no idea how much, I used. Try a teaspoon and taste. Add more, if necessary.

I found the soup and the onions gave it lots of flavor.

Method:

Bring 2 1/2 cups broth to boil in large saucepan. Remove from heat; cover.

Heat 1 tablespoon oil in heavy large saucepan over medium heat.

Add onion and mushrooms; sauté until tender, about 12 minutes.

Add soy sauce to pan and make sure it blends in so that ever rice patty has gotten some of that rich flavor.

Add brown rice and wild rice; stir 1 minute. Stir in 21/2 cups warm broth; bring to boil.

Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer 25 minutes.

Add nuts. Mix well.

Reduce heat; cover and simmer until rice is almost tender, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes.

Using moistened hands, divide rice mixture into 6 equal portions.

Press each portion into 2-inch-diameter patty.

Place in prepared baking pan.


over; chill at least 4 hours. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Keep chilled.)

Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add 3 rice cakes to skillet. Cook until each side begins to brown.

Repeat with remaining 1 tablespoon oil and rice cakes.

Return to baking pan. I found these to be rather fragile so be very gentle. I ended up pushing them together again, if pieces fell off.  I would an egg to bind this, next time.

Cook at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.

Remove from pan and serve with potatoes and a salad. I served it with butternut squash and cucumber salad. This makes a wonderful summer dinner.

This is going to be one of my favorites.

9 comments:

  1. Yourers sound good Chaya! I've linked up homemade coconut milk this week...thanks for hosting =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ummmm!!! I love this because of the mushrooms and walnuts. A perfect burger to try for MM!!!

    By the way, I made the baked potatoes with the yogurt and sour cream and it was a hit! It's a great topping for the potatoes and I did it with a little more sour cream like you said. It's perfect, a little tangy flavor and with the chives it complemented the potatoes perfectly. It's a keeper and I will be doing this when I have dinner guests also! Thank you so much for the recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry I have not posted a recipe that I have developed myself, but having been on holiday I have been out of my kitchen for over two weeks.I hope that my post will give lots of inspiration anyway, and I promise to come back next week with something more original!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These sound delicious, Chaya. The mushrooms and walnuts make these really special. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those sound delicious, Chaya!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait to make these. I have a favorite veggie burger at a local burger joint and have wanted to try making one at home. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am really loving meatless burgers lately Chaya! And these are just packed with flavor! I linked up my black bean burgers. Thanks Chaya!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How perfect for when I have leftover rice sitting around! I'm all about the veggie burgers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to see more people participating in Meatless Mondays, and I'm happy to see your use of our "Meatless Monday at the Green Phone Booth" image. However, could you please make it link back to the Green Phone Booth? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting.