Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Country French Omelet - Ina Garten

Today was a Jewish fast day which lasted 25 hours and was over at sundown and started, last night at sundown.  Yesterday, I posted what we ate before the fast on Comfy Cook, Baked Blintzes with Fresh Blueberry Sauce.

Tonight we broke the fast on this scrumptious omelet.  I  didn't leave myself enough time to make this as Ina did. I did not use the bacon.  I sliced the potatoes instead of cubing it. I followed the rest of the steps.  I would like to try it with the potatoes cut into cubes.  I, simply, wanted them to cook quickly so I could get the omelet into the oven.  This was a top notch dish and both of us enjoyed it tremendously.

Country French Omelet        adapted from Ina Garten  -- page 227  Barefoot Contessa - Back to Basics

Ingredients


1 tablespoon good olive oil

3 potatoes, sliced thin

Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

8  large eggs

3 tablespoons milk

1 tablespoon unsalted butter

1 tablespoon fresh chives, chopped  ( I ran out of fresh chives so the last third consisted of dried chives.)

Method:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Heat the olive oil in a 10-inch ovenproof omelet pan over medium heat.

Place the potatoes in the pan and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Continue to cook over medium-low heat for 8 to 10 minutes, until very tender and browned, tossing occasionally to brown evenly. Remove with a slotted spoon.



Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, beat the eggs, milk, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper together with a fork. After the potatoes are removed, pour the fat out of the pan and discard.


Add the butter, lower the heat to low, and pour the eggs into the hot pan. Sprinkle the , potatoes, and chives evenly over the top and place the pan in the oven for about 8 minutes, just until the eggs are set. Slide onto a plate, divide in half, and serve hot. (I mixed the potatoes in the eggs.  That was also faster than neatly putting them, on top.)






7 comments:

  1. fasts are interesting things, i do think that they have extraordinary health benefits. beautiful meal, and a great chioce to break the fast on. ina garten is fab

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like one delicious omelet for sure and potatoes are a wonderful thing. So is Ina and I must give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delicious-I must try this next time when I make an omelet. I love them for a lighter dinner.Thanks for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Chaya, this is beautiful!! I love this so much. :-) I've been craving an omelet since yesterday and will have to make this. :-) Hope you have a beautiful day! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely love egg dishes. This looks beautiful. Thanks so much Chaya.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a great way to break a fast. That's why we eat eggs for breakfast, right?

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks so delicious, Chaya! Omelettes are one of my comfort foods, and so nutritious too. I'm so glad you linked this recipe to Ina's Garden!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting.