Tuesday, June 8, 2010

What Bok Choy Slaw is.............Delicious

My plans for dinner included a hot dish using a bag of white or green cabbage.  Since, I am attempting to use Kosher By Design Lightens Up, I looked at her cabbage recipes and the handful listed were not right for my purposes.  Once again, I found another recipe that I could use by subbing a bit and it worked out, for us and our dinner.

I turned the Bok Choy Slaw into a very unusual Cabbage Slaw with seeds, nuts and fruit.  This is adapted from Susie Fishbein, page 204 Kosher by Design Lightens up.




HappyDay

Ingredients:

1 bag Bodek green cabbage (subbed for Bok Choy)
2 scallions, thinly sliced
1/3 cup pumpkin seeds (I had a container of mixed pumpkin seeds, almonds, craisins and another nut or seed which I used instead of the ingredients here.)
1/3 cup slivered almonds
1/2 cup Craisins
1/4 cup canola oil
1 tablespoon creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup apple cider
1/3 cup honey
1 teaspoon sea salt

Method:

Put cabbage in large bowl.


Add scallions, pumpkin seeds, almonds and cranberries (Craisins or other dried cranberry)


Toss all together.
In a separate container, combine canola oil, peanut butter, vinegar, honey and salt.



Use a whisk or immersion blender to combine.


Presto - you have a delicious salad.  Mine was a little sweet so I would cut down the sugar and apple cider, next time.

Eek!  I can't find a final photo.  I will have to check the camera, when I am completed.

Submitted to Gluten Free Wednesdays and Real Food Wednesdays and Pennywise Platter Thursday

8 comments:

  1. I love using my immersion blender too. Looks like a delicious and healthy salad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your recipe, Chaya. Immersion blenders are a great invention!
    I'm puzzling about how bok choy could be shredded as well as the cabbage you used. The leaves really aren't crisp at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all the flavors and textures in this salad! And the peanut butter is a fantastic addition!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the addition of pumpkin seeds to this versatile salad, Chaya. I can't help thinking; trail mix salad! Exciting!!!

    Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, it's beautiful and delicious! Thanks for the GF DF recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks tasty. I've eaten bok choy, but I've never used it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the addition of peanut butter - I may even try almond. I just made a citrus slaw last week which was quite refreshing: http://cook4seasons.com/archives/citrus-coleslaw

    ReplyDelete
  8. YUMMO! What a great salad! Thanks for sharing your recipe with Tuesday Tastes! People's Choice Award Polls are open now, come vote for your favorite!

    Happy Day,
    Jasey @ Crazy Daisy

    http://crazyjayzplace.blogspot.com/2010/06/tuesday-tastes-11.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting.