Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Veggie Cake with Corn Chip Topping


I, once again, had a recipe in my hand and a cookbook, in the other hand with an alternative recipe.  My big problem was, which one to make, or so I thought.

My "organized self" began taking out the ingredients to find several good vegetables in the refrigerator.  It seemed foolish not to use some of these.  I was sure, I could adjust either recipe to accommodate these finds.

I lined them up on the counter and it was frightening to see that line get longer and longer.  No, I did not have to use them all for one recipe, and of course, in the end, I did not.  Now, I had other decisions.  What to use and what to do with it so I decided, since this was to be a baking day, I would make a veggie cake.

What is a veggie cake?  I have no idea but this is a healthy one with no sugar, no chocolate, only one tablespoon of oil and at that, it is Safflower oil.  In place of the flour and sugar, I used a number of vegetables of different colors.  Unfortunately, the eggplant dominated in color and hid the red of the tomato and the orange of the bell pepper.

It is baking now but I should be able to get a cooked photo, by the time, I complete the typing.

Veggie Cake

1 medium eggplant, peeled and cut into thick slices
1 medium onion, cut in wedges
3 button mushrooms
1 medium zucchini, peeled and chunked
1/2 large tomato, in quarters
8 grape tomatoes
3 - 4 eggs
1 tablespoon oil
salt to taste
black pepper to taste
garlic or 1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1 cup left over mixed rice
1 cup white beans

Method:

Preheat oven 350 degree oven
Place all vegetables in large food processor.  This was not one for my mini,  Do not include beans and rice.
Run food processor on medium speed until the mixture looks like rice.
Place mixture in large bowl and add beans and rice.  Mix well.
Add eggs and oil to mixture.  Again, mix well.
Place mixture in a greased casserole.  Mine was smaller than a lasagna pan but only by about two inches.
Cover mixture with corn chip or tortilla chip crumbs which have been previously spiced.  I use them in place of bread crumbs.

Place the chips into food processor with any additional spices of choice.  It depends on the flavor of the original chip whether it needs anything.  Garlic powder, basil, oregano, chives all make good additions.  I used one large bag of tortilla chips with 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder, 1 teaspoon  basil , and 2 teaspoons  chives.  I did not use the oregano, this time but it is a consideration for the future.

The vegetables you use can be substituted by your favorites.  I bet sundried tomatoes would be great.  This can be a like a do it yourself sundae.  Choose a little bit of this and a little bit of that and mix it up.

Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.














6 comments:

  1. This looks outstanding... Excellent post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very different, and interesting recipe. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like the kind of cake I should be eating right now (instead of the ones I AM eating). I love the ingredient list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Intriguing recipe, Chaya! I love the ingredient list...so think I better bookmark this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. MMMM! I am very interested in this recipe. I have never heard of it before. Looks delicious!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting.