Sunday, November 14, 2010

Quinoa Twice Cooked

   Check out Lisa's Kitchen and  Susan of the Well Seasoned Cook.                                                                                           
I had made quinoa a while back.  I blogged it earlier, this year.  I had some extra so I froze it and a about a week or two, ago, I took it out and figured, we would eat it for dinner but as luck would have it (I don't believe in luck) I came across this recipe for Black Beans and Tomato Quinoa.



Quinoa with Vegetables and Pecans and Black Beans and Tomatoes (you will be hungry by the time you read the title)

"Quinoa is a fast-cooking, protein-packed whole grain. Steamed, it makes a perfect partner for lime-spiked black beans and fresh tomato. "

Ingredients:

•2 teaspoons grated lime zest

•2 tablespoons fresh lime juice

•1 tablespoon vegetable oil

•1 (14- to 15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained

•2 medium tomatoes, diced

•4 scallions, chopped

•1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro  (I am guessing that I used one of the herbs from my garden, either parsley or basil)

Method:

Whisk together lime zest and juice,  oil,  1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4teaspoon pepper in a large bowl.

Wash quinoa in 3 changes of cold water in a bowl, draining in a sieve each time.  Obviously, this did have to be done again but I want to put it here in case, someone does not know how important this is.  I did not know, the first time, I made quinoa and it was bitter.******  Thank you, Mr. Bittman

Add quinoa to dressing and toss until dressing is absorbed, then stir in remaining ingredients and salt and pepper to taste.

I don't have a final photo.  this is a picture of the black beans being added to the quinoa and vegetables.

14 comments:

  1. Thanks again! I really need to get up the courage and make this for my family!! It looks delicious. I am still catching grief over the couscous. I am posting my favorite salad dressing. I think you just might like it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmmm...I love quinoa...and it does sound great with these additions! Thanks so much for bringing it to Two for Tuesdays, Chaya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this festive quinoa salad. It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love quinoa! This looks fantastic, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I ate a dish very similar to this years ago...I think it was the first time I had quinoa. I still remember how delicious it was. I lost the recipe but now I can use yours!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been loving quinoa lately, but silly me I never thought of pairing it with beans! This sounds wonderful! Thanks so much for adding it to our Two for Tuesday blog hop! I really hope you join us next week as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Uh, this looks SO GOOD! I love quinoa and adding in black beans and pecans just seals the deal for me. YUM!

    ~Aubree Cherie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chaya! Thanks so much for participating in the Two for Tuesday recipe blog hop! These quinoa variations look delicious! Hope to see you again next week at the hop. :) Alex

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know anything about quinoa, but I have always wanted to try it. Can I buy this at a WalMart grocery store or would I need a specialty store?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this! I passed the Beautiful Blogger Award to you! Here's a link
    http://crazyjayzplace.blogspot.com/2010/06/beautiful-blogger-award.html

    Happy Day,
    Jasey

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yummy! Thanks for bringing your dish over to Tuesday Tastes! The People's Choice Polls are open so come by and cast your vote when you get a chance!

    Happy Day,
    Jasey @ Crazy Daisy

    http://crazyjayzplace.blogspot.com/2010/06/tuesday-tastes-12.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sending this to the Showdown Chaya! This looks excellent with the black beans! I could eat just a big bowl of this for dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love quinoa salads like this! Perfect for a good summer lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The lime with the other ingredients sound so good!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting.