Monday, June 28, 2010

Q is for quiche - Let's Play a Game


When you play games, you don't always have choices but many of the foodies are playing a game with lots of choices.  Louise from Months of Edible Creations started a game, one that many of us played as children although, we did not actually bring the parts to reality.  The game, I am going _____ and I am taking A and then the next person added B and so on.  We are going to a picnic and I am bringing Q.  First, I was going to bring a wonderful quinoa salad with summer vegetables but I was in the mood, for quiche, tonight, so I am bring quiche to out picnic, not plain quiche but quiche with a secret ingredient and that ingredient made such a difference, you are going to doubt me.

A- Almond Joy Pie

B- Baked Beans

C- Chocolate Picnic Cake

D- Dutch Funnel Cake

E- Easy Blender Chicken Pie

F- Five Bean Salad

G- Granola Bars

H- Herb and Cheese Pasta Salad

I- Incredibly Fruity Raspberry Cakes

J- Jeweled Picnic Bars

K- Kaltschale (Cold Fruit Soup)

L- Long Island Lemonade Cocktail

M- Mushroom Tart

N- Nut Roast

O- Olive Nut Bread

P- Pomegranate Mousse Cake

Q- Quiche



Crustless Quiche with Spinach, Mushrooms, Onions and Walnuts


Adapted from Joy the Baker who adapted from The Good Egg.

Tomorrow is a Jewish fast day and for this family,  pasta is the rule so as our abnormal side dish, we had shells with some Parmesan (to fill us up).  Of course, hubby, anticipating the fast, is hungry again and lucky him, today the Comfy Cook baked for the picnic also although with a dififerent letter and he has something to snack on.  I also made him more blueberry muffins.

This was a really delicious quiche because of the secret ingredient and because I did not have half and half so I took what was supposed to be the cup of half and half and divided it between milk and whipped topping, unwhipped.  That gave a very, very mild sweet tinge to the quiche and this and the secret ingredient made it the best.

I will say, that every bite was fulfilling.  The onions, mushrooms and spinach bonded and then mixed with the cheese and seasonings blossomed in your mouth, delighting your taste buds.  Ok, we liked this.
Anyone guess the secret ingredient?

Crustless Quiche with Spinach, Mushrooms, Onions and Walnuts

Ingredients:
 

1 bag of frozen spinach, defrosted and wrung out to get all the water out.


2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil 

2 cups chopped mushrooms

1 onion, chopped

salt to taste

1/4 teaspoon hot red pepper

1 teaspoons chives, chopped


3 eggs


1 cup half and half

1 cup shredded cheddar cheese


3 Tablespoons chopped walnuts, roasted in the pan used for mushrooms

olive oil spray for greasing the pie plate

 
Method:


Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a 9-inch pie dish and set aside. (I did not have a pie pan available so I used a round pan.)

Place spinach in a clean dish towel and standing over sink, squeeze and watch all the liquid come out.  Soon, nothing is released and you have dry spinach.


Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring until tender, about 5 minutes.
Add the chopped onion and cook with the mushrooms.

Add the spinach and cook, stirring, until any remaining moisture has evaporated, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Add a pinch of salt.

In a large bowl, whisk the eggs until light. Stir in the half and half. Spoon the spinach mixture evenly into the sprayed pie dish. Sprinkle with the cheese and nuts. Pour in the egg mixture.


 Bake the quiche until puffed and golden brown, about 35 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature, cut into generous wedges and enjoy.

 


Photobucket
Linked to Real Food Wednesdays and Pennywise Platter Thursday

9 comments:

  1. I do believe there are two "secret" ingredients in that mouth watering Quiche of yours. Lots of love is the other. Toasting the walnuts in the mushroom pan is a GREAT idea.

    I'll be devouring this Quiche at the picnic Chaya for sure. It looks dee...licious!!!

    Thank you so much for "bringing" it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for linking up to Mad Skills Monday! Whip up some easy kids recipes and submit them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's definitely one I will be trying. I'm also your newest follower. :-)

    Tamara
    http://hisperfectpromises.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks and sounds delicious. I love walnuts mixed with spinach.
    maybe this is what I should have for lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That quiche looks amazing! So happy that this picnic sent me to you. I have enjoyed your other recipes as well! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the idea of a crustless quiche Chaya! It's a timesaver. And this is fantastic picnic food! I love spinach!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a yummy picnic item! I love quiche but my husband is not so keen for it. He loves walnuts though so I bet this would appeal to him.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun game!!! The quiche looks pretty fantastic too :)

    ~Aubree Cherie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Chaya,
    Thanks for bringing your Quiche on the picnic and thanks for bringing YOU too!!! it was such fun. I must go see what's on the stove, or in it today:)

    Thanks for playing...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting.