Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Eat Well with Scalloped Tomatoes

Do you want an easy and delicious recipe using some of the summer tomatoes.  Eating Well has a solution.  These took me no time to put together and we enjoyed them as a side dish to our chicken with our sauteed bell peppers and rice.

Scalloped Tomatoes


Substitute whatever fresh herbs you have on hand for the thyme.

Ingredients

4 ripe medium tomatoes, cored and thickly sliced

•1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar

•1 cup fresh breadcrumbs (I used my tortilla chip crumbs.)

•1 large clove garlic, minced

•1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme (I used parsley, basil and chives from my herb garden.)

•1/4 teaspoon pepper

•1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil

Method:

Preheat oven to 425°F. Lightly oil a shallow 2-quart baking dish or coat it with nonstick spray.

Arrange tomato slices, slightly overlapping, in prepared dish.

Sprinkle with vinegar.

Combine tortilla crumbs and herbs in a small bowl.

Sprinkle crumb mixture over tomatoes and drizzle with oil. (I sprayed with olive oil)


Bake tomatoes for 30 to 35 minutes, or until tomatoes are tender and the breadcrumbs are crisp and golden.
 
Serve hot.
 
 
 

12 comments:

  1. Yummo!! Thanks. We are going to have LOTS of tomatoes and I like new ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this looks so YUMMY!!! I LOVE!!! tomatoes and can't wait to try this recipe.
    Geri

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome simple side dish! I will totally try this when I am swimming in tomatoes, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this looks awesome! with 9 tomato plants in the garden, I will be ready for new recipes! thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait for my garden tomatoes to ripen so I can try this. It sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. great idea for tomatoes which are a bounty during summer season... would love to have this as a side dish..yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. sounds yummy, I love grilled tomatoes and haven't baked a tomato in a while, what a great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a great idea, I never would have thought to make scalloped tomatoes! I'm going to try this with my mom when tomatoes are overflowing out of her garden! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great dish, Chaya! I would love this for lunch. Everyone who has tomatoes growing in their garden is going to jump all over this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Saw this on What's on the Menu Wednesday and had to come take a peek b/c I love tomatoes. This looks fantastic! Great recipe for tomato gardeners and herb gardeners too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a deliciously simple way to do tomatoes, Chaya. I love it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. These recipes look great. Thank you for sharing them and letting me visit.
    Susan
    http://amazingcouponanddiscountdeals.blogspot.com
    http://joininandgogreen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting.