Friday, June 11, 2010

Red Peppers Stuffed with Mashed Cream Potatoes

As I looked through Southern Living, looking for bell pepper recipes, I spotted a recipe that had to be a winner.  After all, it had creamy mashed potatoes in red and orange peppers.  Some seasoning and sour cream and you know you had a success.  Almost forgot, there is cheese also.....it was satisfying.

Potato-Stuffed Grilled Bell Peppers


Ingredients

4 large baking potatoes (about 3 1/2 to 4 pounds)

1 red bell pepper

1 orange bell pepper

1 (16-ounce) (8 ounce) container sour cream

1/2 cup shredded Gouda cheese Cheddar

1/4 cup sliced green onions

3 tablespoons butter

3 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

3/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon ground pepper

1/4 teaspoon paprika

Method:

Pierce each potato 3 to 4 times with a fork, and place directly on oven rack.  (I boiled the potatoes for lack of time.)

Bake at 450° for 1 hour and 30 minutes. Let cool slightly, about 15 minutes.

Peel potatoes, cut into one inch pieces and boil for 20 minutes.

Cut bell peppers in half lengthwise, cutting through stems and keeping intact. Remove and discard seeds and membranes; rinse and pat dry. Set aside.

Cut baked potatoes in half. Mash potato pieces into a large bowl.

 Add sour cream and next 6 ingredients to pulp, blending well with a fork or potato masher.

I had about 8 button mushrooms which I cut up and fried and added to the sour cream mixture.

Spoon potato mixture evenly into bell pepper halves. Sprinkle with paprika.

Baked at 375 degrees for 25 minutes/
Southern Living, MAY 2005

















  frugal front porch    Mommy’s Kitchen

11 comments:

  1. These look fantastic! Great presentation. I accidently hit neutral on top and meant to hit yummy. My computer was whacked out and it clicked where it shouldn't have. I'll so have to make these, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm loving this new look!

    These stuffed peppers look awesome! I wouldn't have thought to stuff them with mashed potatoes. total comfort food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Chaya! Such gorgeous photos of the stuffed peppers. :-) Those sound fantastic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I knew it had been too too long since I listed visited your blog, but WOW! Look at you now. LOVE the new look!

    And love this recipe. Oh yeah! Definitely going to have to do this!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks delicious! I will absolutely have to try this as it is very unique! I never would've thought of this combo. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Potatoes and peppers, a great combination. This is a must try recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea! Top them with bacon bits would make a fantastic lunch! Thanks for linking up this week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks completely delicious - something I would definitely love.
    The new look of your blog is great, I really like it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great stuffed pepper recipe. I love everything about it! The new blog layout is really nice Chaya!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Chaya, just wanted to let you know I linked this to my fav recipes from last week! :)

    ~Aubree Cherie

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm not a big pepper fan, but that looks great! Thanks for linking it to Gluten-free Wednesdays.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting.