Friday, April 16, 2010

Tomato Cobbler - Mark Bittman IHCC

I am in love with Mark Bittman's recipes.  This week we are raiding the pantries at IHCC.  It is a broad topic and one, we can have fun with but I ran into a big problem; I came up with too many recipes.  Silly me, printed them all up, ready to go and when I got into the kitchen and saw, I was holding a dozen recipes, I panicked.  How do I make a decision?  Yes, I love Mark Bittman's recipes.

I love his casual attitude, giving alternatives, rather than baffling the reader with some strange ingredient.  If you look, you will find the answer to almost any question.  In other words, using his recipes, you can get started cooking, quickly, unless you  have to make 12 recipes become 2.  I did it!  I decided to be practical and make what I needed although I have a dream recipe, sitting on the counter waiting to be made, tomorrow morning.

Tonight, I needed two sides so I made this fascinating tomato cobbler which was thrown together in a few minutes time, and I made vegetable fritters (latkes, pancakes) which I will post in Comfy Cook.  Actually, there were two sweet potato recipes which were calling my name and I have some extra sweet potatoes in my fridge.  Maybe, on Sunday.

Tomato Cobbler   adapted                               

I have never had a savory cobbler but with the title of this blog, (My Sweet and Savory) I guess, I should try savory versions of lot of our more commonly considered sweet dishes.  In the Bittman style, he gave alternatives for the filling and the topping.  I chose the topping with spices and stayed with the plain tomato filling.  He mentions that this can even be made with canned tomatoes but my guess is that it would taste very different from the "real" thing.  This is a dish that should be made with tomatoes from the garden but I will have to wait for the weather to change before that can happen.

One point of interest, when I took my first bite, the full flavor did not come through for a few seconds.  All of a sudden my mouth was filled with a burst of tomato, tasting as if it had come from the garden.  Incredible.

I cut the recipe in half and that was easily done. Next time, I would add another vegetable with the tomatoes.  Maybe bell peppers or onions or both but I would keep the tomato as the majority vegetable.

Makes: 3 servings

Ingredients:

Cooking spray

2 tomatoes and about 20 cherry tomatoes (I had two full sized tomatoes in the house and I was not going to let that defeat me.  First, I was going to add zucchini as a filler but I really wanted a full tomato flavor so I threw in the grape tomatoes and they blended together.)

1/2 tablespoon cornstarch

Salt and  ground black pepper

1/2 cup all-purpose flour( I used brown rice flour), plus more if needed

1/2 cup cornmeal

3/4 teaspoons baking powder

1/4 teaspoon baking soda

2 tablespoons margarine, cut into large pieces and refrigerated until very cold

1 egg, beaten

3/4 cup Rice Milk and 1 teaspoon vinegar
Method:

1.Grease a square baking dish cooking spray. Preheat the oven to 375˚F.

2.Put the tomato wedges in a large bowl and sprinkle with the cornstarch and some salt and pepper. Toss gently to combine.

3.Put the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and baking soda in a food processor along with a teaspoon of salt. Add the butter and pulse a few times until the mixture looks like coarse bread crumbs. Add the egg and buttermilk and pulse a few times more, until the mixture comes together in a ball. If the mixture doesn’t come together, add a spoonful or two of flour. If the mixture is too dry, add a few drops of buttermilk.

4.Gently toss the tomato mixture again and spread it in the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Drop spoonfuls of the batter on top and smooth a bit with a knife. (Try to leave some gaps so that the steam from the tomato mixture will have a place to escape as the cobbler bakes.) Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, until golden on top and bubbly underneath. Cool to just barely warm or room temperature. To serve, scoop servings out with a large spoon.  (I left larger gaps than Mark Bittman did in the photo that comes with the above article,)

Tomato Cobbler with Herb Topping. The way to go if you have fresh herbs: In Step 3, when you add the egg and buttermilk, add 1/4 cup chopped fresh herbs, like mint, parsley, basil, or cilantro. Or add 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme, oregano, or rosemary. (I only had fresh parsley and chives so that is what I used.)

Check the original recipe for other variations.
Submitted to Simply Sweet Home and Foodie Fridays.  If you would like a treat, stop by Sunday Favorites and Weekend Cooking.  Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays has this and lots of other great recipes.  Make a quiche for Gluten Free Wednesdays.

Check out Pennywise Platter Thursday for lots of good eating.  Take a peek at the Ultimate Recipe Swap.

26 comments:

  1. I am always looking for another recipe to use up those Summer tomatoes!! This looks like a good one to try!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love tomato! But my husband won't eat it...I have never seen anything like this before! It looks so good! Perfect for tomato season!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks absolutly wonderful! I can't wait to make it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How INTERESTING, Chaya! I've never heard of such a thing but it sounds lovely :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never heard of a savory cobbler but love tomatoes and this looks delicious. Bet it's great with the cornmeal. A must try!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bittman really is a serious food genius. His two MONSTROUS cookbooks came in the mail today and I am SO excited.

    I love this cobbler! It is going on my list of his recipes to make. Along with the other 500,000 million.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This really does look yummy -- can't wait for the summer tomatoes for this one! Joni

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tomato cobbler sounds amazing and I love the gorgeous pictures with the ruby red tomatoes peeking through! This sounds like a very fun recipe:D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have had this one tagged to make--it looks amazing. Glad you are enjoying Mark Bittman.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds amazing! I cant wait for home grown tomatoes for this recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This savory cobbler sounds fantastic! I will be giving it a try soon, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This does look wonderful. I think I would like the addition of sauteed onions. With five tomato plants already flowering, this is going in my 'to try' file. Thanks.
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  13. Does this look delicious Chaya! I hope I can remember this recipe when I have tomatoes fresh from my garden!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, what an intriguing recipe. I never would have even imagined a Tomato Cobbler - it is getting very near the end of our tomato season here in New Zealand now, so I think I need to try this soon before I have to wait another year to give it a go.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi, just over from Sunday Favorites...
    Altho I don't eat tomatoes very often, this recipe sounds really good. I will sure try it.
    Have a good Sunday..

    ReplyDelete
  16. Back to say I just signed up to follow...I mean, AFTER ALL, we are both GRANDMOTHERS !! Come by anytime..I'd love to see you.
    xo bj

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks great for those late summer tomato bonanzas -- when your modest garden tomatoes begin pumping iron and producing at record counts.

    Great looking dish! I'd use it as a main course, just adding cheese. And onion. And zucchini . . . .
    Cass

    ReplyDelete
  18. You know, I bet this was really really good. Have you ever had Paula Deene's tomato pie? She had scallions to hers, and it's a super addition. I think it might be good here as well. I must try this. We love tomatoes here!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have heard of tomato cobble but, haven't tried it yet. I saved this recipe to use when all the tomatoes come in all at once from the garden. I am always looking for different recipes to use the tomatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love Bittman too! This sounds stunningly awesome. I wonder why I never thought of this myself. Oh why can't it be tomato season right now??

    Thanks so much for linking up with Weekend Cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Chaya...

    I must admit, I have never heard of or seen a tomato cobbler! I love, love, LOVE tomatoes and this recipe is right up my alley! I will definitely be giving this a try!!! Your photos were great...hmmm, I thought I could almost smell it baking!!! Thank you so much for sharing this great recipe with us today for Sunday Favorites!!!

    Warmest wishes,
    Chari @Happy To Design
    PS..I will be sending this recipe to my mom. My dad always plants a huge garden with lots of tomatoes. She is always trying to find new recipes for tomatoes! Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am really interested in trying this recipe. I wondered about adding another veggie to it so I am glad to see your suggestion on other veggies to add.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I definitely need to try this, never had a savory cobbler. Thanks!
    DomesticProductions15.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. A savory cobbler? I'm intrigued...

    ReplyDelete
  25. I've never seen this before. Very interesting! Thanks for linking up with me for Friday Favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  26. You are full of interesting recipes. A savory cobbler sounds like a great idea.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting.