Monday, April 19, 2010

Orange Beets with Almonds

This month, Diet, Dessert and Dogs and Affairs of Living have started a new and exciting group to participate in.  It is called SOS Kitchen Challenge, Sweet and Savory Kitchen Challenge.  Neither of the Sweet and Savory blogs are involved with this other than as participants.  I think, it is a great idea, though.

I am going to highlight a few of the comments about this group and then I will share my recipe, which was simple to make and delicious.

SOS Kitchen Challenge

"The new SOS Kitchen Challenge invites you to create delicious dishes based on one key ingredient each time. You can choose either sweet or savory dishes (or both) for the event. At the end of the month, Kim and I will gather all the submissions and post them in a roundup on both our blogs—so your recipe will get double the exposure! The resulting roundup will offer a single stop where health-conscious readers can find a collection of yummy dishes to try."


What Are We Cooking with this Month?


April, 2010: This month’s ingredient is BEETS! For more beet info and my recipe for the challenge, check my SOS blog post. http://www.affairsofliving.com/   http://www.dietdessertndogs.com/sos-kitchen-challenge/comment-page-1/#comment-13611


How Can You Participate?


Simply cook up a recipe using the challenge ingredient (see above for a link to each challenge ingredient, listed by month, with a link to the corresponding blog post).


General Guidelines for all the Challenges:


In general, please use only whole foods ingredients (minimally processed with no artificial flavors, colors, prepackaged sauces, etc.)


Use whole grains and whole grain flours only; no refined white flours or sugar (but either glutenous OR gluten-free flours are fine)


Please ensure that recipes are vegan (no animal products whatsoever, including meat, fish, chicken, milk, yogurt, eggs, honey)


Include only natural sweeteners (no white sugar, nothing that requires a laboratory to create–such as splenda, aspartame, xylitol, etc.). Rather, use maple syrup, agave nectar, brown rice syrup, coconut sugar, dates, yacon syrup, stevia, etc.


You may enter as many times as you like, but please submit a separate entry for each recipe.


Send your submissions to soskitchenchallenge@gmail.com, with the subject line, “SOS Challenge” and the following information:

This is what I am going to do now:

If you go to Comfy Cook, you will the most amazing bread, that I made.  On  My Sweet and Savory, I am sharing a side dish, we had tonight, for dinner.  I made a mini portion.  I suggest you double, triple or quadriple, this recipe.

I had one beet in the house.  Now, you understand the small amount, I made. 

Orange Beets with Almonds

Ingredients:

1 beet

Juice of 1 orange
Zest of 1 orange
1 teaspoon unsalted butter
Salt
Freshly ground pepper
1/4 C. slivered almonds
1 /2 teaspoon dried tarragon.

Peel the beet and cut into cubes. 

Put beet cubes in a pot of boiling water and leave on a low boil for thirty minutes.  It should be fork tender when you turn it off.

Place the orange juice, orange zest, cooked beets and butter in a shallow saucepan or a skillet.

Cook over low to medium heat for 10 minutes -- stirring occasionally

The beets should be coated with an orange glaze.

Add seasoning and almonds.

Gently mix together.

Cook for another two minutes and remove from heat.

Eat and enjoy.  Submitted to Tempt my Tummy Tuesdays and Real Food Wednesdays and Fight Back Fridays.   

6 comments:

  1. I love beets. This recipe looks delicious.

    Chaya - You are amazing! Another group! Look forward to following this challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Orange and beets go amazingly well together! What a delicious dish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would you believe I had just been online looking for a good beet recipe, preferably something with orange, and I couldn't find anything that caught my interest. Then here you are!! With this lovely dish. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like such a fun challenge, and I really love challenging myself in the kitchen! :) Your beets sound really fantastic -- orange is the perfect addition!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome side dish.
    Great combination of flavours x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beets are not my favourite veggie yet I'm always on the look out for recipes that I might like. This one looks like it. Bookmarked:-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting.