Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Min's Marinara Sauce - Taste and Create

Taste and Create is a lot of fun.  We are paired off  and then we select a recipe from out partner's blog to cook or bake.  This month, my partner is Min from The Bad Girls' Kitchen.

I have been trying new sauces, for quite a while, searching for a special one that I will know is IT, when I taste it. Knowing Min is a fantastic cook, I made her recipe for Marinara Sauce for Taste and Create.  I made it in the crockpot so I could go to work and not worry about it cooking away.
Makes about 2 quarts (8 cups) 1 quart will serve 4 over pasta as a first course

Marinara Sauce - adapted




1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil


2 small onions, chopped

1/8 teaspoon garlic powder

2 celery stalks, chopped

8 baby carrots, peeled and chopped

1/2 teaspoon sea salt, plus more to taste

2 teaspoons brown sugar

1 teaspoon white sugar

1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste

about 1 cup water to get all the tomatoes out of the can

2 (28-ounce) cans crushed tomatoes


In a large crockpot, heat the oil over a medium flame.
Add the onions and saute until the onions are translucent, about 30 minutes, on high.. Add the celery, carrots, and 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper. Saute until all the vegetables are soft, about 10 minutes.



Add the tomatoes and bay leaves, and simmer uncovered over low heat until the sauce thickens, about 1 hour. Remove and discard the bay leaves. Season the sauce with more salt and pepper to taste and sugars.  Put crockpot on low and cook 2 hours.


I had chopped pieces in small chunks, rather than fine, as Min had done and when I first, tasted it, it was too chunky.  I used the immersion blender to get it to the right consistency.

Cook pasta or rice according to package directions.
Ladle sauce onto pasta or rice.
If you would like, add some green for color.


Eat and Enjoy.  Thanks Min and Taste and Create for a tasty sauce which we all enjoyed.

8 comments:

  1. Yeah taste and create is wonderful, and i would love to be paired with u some day :-))
    And ur choice is perfect, i wanna make some marinara too and ofcourse ,i love between chunky and smooth .....this looks like a sauce that would appeal to my taste buds, but my taste buds always feel this way, when am at ur gorgeous blogs:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious! What a fun group. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is one luscious looking sauce that I bet is delicious! I see your container of crushed tomatoes. I've never seen that wonder what brand it is. Great recipe! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks really yum! I like the idea of putting it all in the crock pot because I'm such a busy girl, a crockpot recipe is something I can always use.

    Love having your participate in Food Revolution Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great recipe! This is a great way to get more vegetables in to kids. I'm going to subscribe to your RSS feed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you liked the marinara, it's one of our favorites. Interesting that you made it in the crockpot, that wouldn't work for me (I can't even drive to town and back in two hours!) It really is an easy sauce, and you can also make it ahead and freeze it. So versatile! And yes, chopping fine is key, you don't want it too chunky. =) Thanks, partner.
    M.
    The Bad Girl's Kitchen

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks so good! And could be used in so many different dishes. I hope I can try it...

    I've also linked to this recipe with my Favorite Top Ten Recipes of last week list!

    ~Aubree Cherie

    ReplyDelete
  8. The marinara sauce looks really tasty! I might have to give it a try someday

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting.