Monday, April 26, 2010

Apple Filled Ricotta Roll-Ups Go Ahead Honey, It's Gluten Free

This month, the theme we are making for, "Go Ahead Honey - It's Gluten Free", is breakfast.  Breakfast is my favorite meal when I get to eat it.  Over the years, I have developed different kinds of muffins with yummy ingredients which make a great breakfast.  There are fancy French Toasts, waffles and pancakes.  Some of the egg dishes are beyond belief.  As you can imagine, I was thrilled when I saw what we would be doing  Our host, Naomi from Straight Into Bed, Cakefree and Dried is the originator of this wonderful group.  Throughout the months, the group has demonstrated that gluten free does not mean, being deprived.  It seems to me that those on gluten free diets eat very well.  Since my husband is the one with celiac (his reason for a gluten free diet), it might surprise some of you that I do a lot of gluten free eating.  I cook for both of us and I bake for both of us unless it is something, he is not going to eat (chocolate).  I certainly don't have the time to make two different meals, which is what I did when we first got the diagnosis.

I want to thank Naomi for keeping this going and helping so many of us diversify our menus.

Now for breakfast which I want to make for dinner, right now.  It is a gem.

Ricotta Pancakes Filled with Apples and Raisins


Ingredients:

1 cup rice flour mixture

1 teaspoon baking powder

1 cup ricotta cheese

3/4 cup milk

4 eggs

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

canola oil for griddle

Apples:

2 tablespoons margarine

2 sweet apples, peeled and diced

1/4 cup golden raisins

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

2 tablespoons pure maple syrup


Method:

In a medium bowl, combine rice flour mixture, baking powder, and salt.

In a large bowl, combine ricotta cheese, milk, eggs, and pure vanilla extract.

Add flour mixture and mix just until combined.

Pour a little bit of oil on a griddle over medium heat.

Drop batter in spoonfuls.  I use my  two teaspoon cookie scoop.
Cook for 1 minute, or until begins to brown on bottom side..

Flip and cook 2 minutes more or bottom begins to brown.

Put aside.

Apples:

Melt margarine in a medium skillet over medium-high heat.

Add apples and cook for 5 minutes, or until golden and tender, but not overcooked. 

Add remaining ingredients.
Stir well and cook 2 minutes.

Cool slightly. When ready to serve, ladle on center on top of pancakes.

Roll the pancakes around the filling, blintz style. 

Top with pancake syrup, even better - maple syrup or a fruit syrup or jelly.

The plain ricotta pancakes are delicious without the apple filling but with a topping

Check out Homemaker Haven for great ideas as well as Vegetarian Fridays.  Check out Make it From Scratch

11 comments:

  1. Great breakfast or dinner idea Chaya. I love blintze and imagine these would be just the same, fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound delicious and I could definitely eat them for dinner right now too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sound so good Chaya! Yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the fluffy texture of ricotta pancakes. they look delicious with the apple filling.
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look delicious! They look like they would just melt in your mouth!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooooh, these look delicious. I love the texture of apples when they're slightly cooked.

    Sorry to hear your husband is gluten intolerant. But it sounds like you're very creative in coming up with delicious meals and desserts. You're such a nice wife :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my GOd, i have this craving for pancakes these days, and these are totally it , well i sure will have to sub the rice flour for AP and ricotta for cream, but definately something i wanna try:-)))

    ReplyDelete
  8. gluten free or not that looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never rolled up my pancakes before and filled them. Seems silly that I've never thought of it. Thank you for sharing them over at my Vegetarian Foodie Fridays linky!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooo, this looks tasty! They remind me of crepes, but is a version that I could handle I think! (I have a mental block for crepes.) An apples - yum!

    ~Aubree Cherie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and commenting.